| Release dates
June 26, 2000
July 27, 2000
|Deus Ex: Invisible War||2003|
|Deus Ex: Human Revolution||2011|
|Tactical Enhancement Pack|
|Explosive Mission Pack|
|The Missing Link|
|Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut||2013|
|Deus Ex: The Fall||2014|
- Vastly improved graphically by the New Vision mod, which replaces the majority of in game textures with high definition replacements as well as HDTP mod, currently in beta stage.
- Based on Unreal Engine 1, so an official SDK level editor is available, resulting in a number of gameplay-improving mods for download.
- Kentie's Deus Exe and Direct3D 10 renderer fix various performance, visual and compatibility problems on modern systems.
- GameFAQs Forum - this forum is relatively active and contains discussion & bugfixes
- The Nameless Mod Forums - contains information relevant to most Deus Ex mods including New Vision
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network
- 8 Issues fixed
- 8.1 32-bit color won't enable
- 8.2 Audio stutter/game crashing due to audio subsystem
- 8.3 Crash when Enabling 32-bit color
- 8.4 Error message crash on startup
- 8.5 Game Speed Inconsistent/Jerkiness
- 8.6 Flashlight key conflicts with Steam screenshot key
- 8.7 Large-scale graphical glitches
- 8.8 Shadows appear scratchy/green
- 8.9 GUI scaling issues
- 9 SDK
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|Steam||Can be played without Steam using Deus Exe.|
|Retail||Disc check; see Run without the CD or Steam.|
- Several demo versions of Deus Ex are available at Planet Deus Ex, including the first two missions as well as a Macintosh version.
While the Steam version is cheaper, the GOG.com version has no DRM and offers bonus free content.
The 1.112fm patch fixes various bugs and adds multiplayer. Digital distribution versions already include this patch as do some retail re-releases.
This fix will replace the existing deusex.exe file within the folder. If you want to be able to uninstall it, backup the main executable beforehand.
Using Deus Exe • Link
Direct3D 10 renderer
Kentie's Direct3D 10 renderer improves compatibility with modern systems and adds native support for various features including anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering and multi-monitor resolutions.
- If you are using Deus Exe, install the renderer then choose Direct3D 10 Support in the launcher.
- If you are using the original Deus Ex, install the renderer then run Deus Ex in Safe Mode and choose Direct3D 10 Support from the list.
Run without the CD or Steam
Use Deus Exe.
For retail versions you can also edit
deusex.ini and remove the line for
A number of mods have been released for Deus Ex which include improvements to texture quality and gameplay adjustments:
Deus Ex: New Vision
Deus Ex: New Vision replaces the vast majority of the games texture files with HD remakes, drastically improving the visual appeal of the game. It is compatible with Kentie's Custom Launcher, however note that to use these improved textures an additional renderer is required. 2 are included in the New Vision download, one for DirectX and one for OpenGL, and a video demonstrating full installation of the mod with Kentie's Launcher can be found here.
Deus Ex HDTP
Deus Ex HDTP (High Definition Texture Project) is a mod aimed to remodel and retexture the majority of the games assets. The mod is currently in beta stages. The newest version can be downloaded either through ModDB or from the Off Topic Productions forum thread, which also list all the progress on the updates.
Shifter fixes many common annoyances with the game, including improved enemy AI and a restructured augmentation system which replaces augmentations considered obsolete by the developer of the mod. Note however that this mod makes the game significantly easier by increasing the number of skill points awarded and items dropped among other things.
- BioMod is an alternative extension to Shifter, further adding game changing features such as autosave and automated augmentations. Also notable is the removal of Shifter's awarding of skill points for kills.
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod is an extensive conversion of Deus Ex which provides a new storyline within the Unreal 1 engine set outside of the Deus Ex universe. This modification is fully voiced and includes many new weapons and features.
Deus Ex: Nihilum
Deus Ex: Nihilum (also known as DXN, DEN and Nihilum) is a "mod taking place in an alternate Deus Ex continuity". It takes some content from other mods and provides around 10 hours of gameplay. It includes around 3.5 hours of voice work and 2 hours of new audio.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows (Kentie's launcher)||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Deus Ex\System|
Save game data location
|Windows (Kentie's launcher)||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Deus Ex\Save|
|Widescreen resolution||Set with Deus Exe.|
|Multi-monitor||Use Deus Exe together with the Direct3D 10 renderer.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Set with Deus Exe.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Deus Exe v6 Readme: "Todo: add borderless window fullscreen mode."|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Use the Direct3D 10 renderer and set in preferences.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Use the Direct3D 10 renderer and set in preferences.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Use the Direct3D 10 renderer and set in preferences.|
|High frame rate||Use the Direct3D 10 renderer.|
Toggled in Settings->Display or by using Alt+↵ Enter, but this doesn't affect start-up. Also, only the software renderer and Direct3D 10 renderer properly handle adjusting brightness in Windowed mode. (OpenGL renderer will adjust brightness but affects the entire screen.)
Use Deus Exe or modify
StartupFullscreen) to start in Windowed mode.
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Set with Deus Exe.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support|| Must be enabled through console command |
|Full controller support||Menus (including console login) don't support controllers.|
|Controller remapping|| In |
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Music, Sound effects, Speech.|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.0 output. May require DirectSound 3D restoration software.|
|Subtitles||Located under Game options.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||A3D 2.0, EAX 1.|
|German||Use Deus Ex - Deutsche Textdateien.|
|Polish||Fan translation can be downloaded from Portal24h.|
- Multiplayer for the retail version requires the 1.112fm patch; digital distribution versions are already patched.
|Direct IP|| Enter in-game or use |
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|UDP (outbound)||7790-7792, 27900|
- Check Deus Ex tweak guide for more information on settings
32-bit color won't enable
Use Deus Exe. Alternately, set 32-bit color in-game and restart the game before changing any other settings.
Audio stutter/game crashing due to audio subsystem
Use Deus Exe. If problems persist, adjust the audio latency setting in the launcher.
Crash when Enabling 32-bit color
Enabling 32-bit color can cause some systems to crash with a D3D error. This is fixable by installing an alternative renderer or switching to the OpenGL renderer in the graphics options. Also note this crash can be fixed by ensuring your copy is patched up to 1.112fm (all versions except retail copies will most likely already be patched to this).
Error message crash on startup
Generally speaking the error message will detail the subsystem in which the crash occurred in so you can narrow down the possible causes. You can also access the game's logfile (
Deus Ex\system\deusex.log) for additional information.
Game Speed Inconsistent/Jerkiness
Use Deus Exe.
Flashlight key conflicts with Steam screenshot key
Deus Ex default flashlight key is F12, which is also default key for taking screenshots in Steam.
In the main menu, open Settings -> Keyboard/Mouse, and scroll until you see F12. Double click on that line, and choose whichever key you want to use as the flashlight.
You can also change the screenshot key in Steam settings (View > Settings > In-Game > Screenshot shortcut key).
Large-scale graphical glitches
This is usually caused by the chosen renderer. Launch Deus Ex in Safe Mode and change to a different renderer. If problems persist, try the Direct3D 10 renderer.
Shadows appear scratchy/green
Use the Direct3D 10 renderer.
GUI scaling issues
Use Deus Exe and set the GUI scaling option appropriately.
After the release of the 1.112fm patch Ion Storm released an official SDK for the game which includes a full level editor and conversation editor. Note however that it is possible to crash the SDK by excessively spawning some items including rockets.
|Operating system (OS)||95|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium II 300 MHz or AMD equivalent|
|System memory (RAM)|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||150 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 16 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 7.0a compatible