Thief: Deadly Shadows
| Release dates
May 25, 2004
|Thief: The Dark Project||1998|
|Thief II: The Metal Age||2000|
|Thief: Deadly Shadows||2004|
|The Dark Mod (unofficial spin-off)||2009|
- The Sneaky Upgrade adds widescreen/multi-monitor support and fixes various issues.
- GOG.com Community Discussions
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
v1.1 Patch (retail)
The latest retail patch is Patch v1.1. Digital distribution versions already include this patch.
Skip intro videos
Change ShowIntroMovies in DEFAULT.INI • Link
- A detailed forum thread for mods and enhancements is available on the Steam Users' Forums.
- Aims to provide an experience more like Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II.
- Make the game more challenging in general.
- Adds various game changes, such as fatigue, removal of 3rd person camera, choice of mission play style and various others.
- Adds native widescreen/multi-monitor support and fixes compatibility issues.
- If you have used T3FovPatch, run it again and select 4:3 otherwise the Sneaky Upgrade's changes will be incorrect.
- This mod is currently in beta, and only half the missions have been patched.
- No mod installer.
- Gets rid of most of the loading-zones in the levels.
- Fixes mission bugs.
- Expands some maps.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Install the Sneaky Upgrade to unlock all resolutions in-game.|
|Multi-monitor||Install the Sneaky Upgrade to unlock all resolutions in-game.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Windowed||Toggle with Alt+↵ Enter.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Called MultiSampling; also see Use MultiSampling and Bloom together.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Disabling can cause lock picking and ladder issues.|
|High frame rate||Refresh rates above 60Hz cause lock picking and ladder issues.|
Set Sneaky Upgrade VerticalFOV • Link
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||No mouse speed option in-game. Mouse speed seems to be also dependent on FPS.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||Set in Options, Control.|
|Separate volume controls||Sound Effects and Music|
|Subtitles||Subtitles for all speech (disabled by default).|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 4|
- A detailed forum thread for technical difficulties is available on the Through The Looking Glass forum.
- TweakGuides has created a comprehensive guide for fixing issues in this game. It can be found here.
Intro movie keeps repeating
- This problem occurs on multi-core systems and is fixed by the Sneaky Upgrade.
Use Sneaky Upgrade • LinkInstall the Sneaky Upgrade.
Garrett gets stuck when lock picking or using ladders
- This is caused by high frame rates; enable Vsync and use a refresh rate no higher than 60Hz.
Game freezes or crashes when trying to load a save file
Lower the resolution • Link
Temporary switch to desktop or black screen when loading
Use Sneaky Upgrade • Link
Use MultiSampling and Bloom together
- Deadly Shadows doesn't allow you to set both MultiSampling and Bloom in-game; enabling either will disable the other one.
Enable both settings • Link
|Operating system (OS)|| |
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon XP equivalent||Intel Pentium IV 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon XP equivalent|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| 64 MB of VRAM
Shader model 1.1 support
| 128 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 9.0 compatible
Shader model 1.1 support