Thief: The Dark Project
| Release dates
November 30, 1998
|Thief: The Dark Project||1998|
|Thief II: The Metal Age||2000|
|Thief: Deadly Shadows||2004|
|The Dark Mod (unofficial spin-off)||2009|
This page is for the original game. For the 2014 reboot, see Thief (2014).
- TFix fixes problems running the game on modern systems.
- A wiki for the classic Thief games
- TTLG Forums - Thief Series
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
|Amazon.com||Almost exclusively available as part of the Complete Collection which also includes Thief II and Thief: Deadly Shadows.|
|GOG.com||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
|Green Man Gaming|
|Steam||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
- Thief Gold includes extra missions and some other enhancements.
- Two demo versions are available (mirror1/mirror2/mirror3)
- An unified demo version patched with NewDark is also available
TFix updates the game for modern systems. Using it is highly recommended. The GOG.com version already includes some TFix changes. Includes the Enhancement Pack and other optional mods which improve some low quality objects and textures.
Enhancement Pack 2.0
Thief Gold HD Texture Mod
The Thief Gold HD Texture Mod adds HD textures for all original missions, new flames and fog FX and new skins for some enemies. It is only compatible with Thief Gold. Includes the "NewDark Graphics Settings Tool" - a tool to configure advanced graphics settings (Anti-Aliasing, Bloom, etc.) Note: Makes the game more de-saturated and changes its graphical style in a way some may not like (far more than the Enhancement Pack 2.0 does). A FAQ with installation steps is available.
The GoldToDark is a downgrade patch that will downgrade your Thief Gold into the original Thief The Dark Project, this must be used on top of an existing clean valid installation of Thief Gold.
Skip intro videos
Configuration file(s) location
- Configuration files are: cam.cfg (basic settings, resolution), cam_ext.cfg (NewDark config), install.cfg and user.bnd (key bindings).
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Install TFix.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Install TFix.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Install TFix.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See Vertical sync (Vsync).|
|High frame rate||See High frame rate.|
Set windowed mode
- Installing TFix enables Vsync by default. Vsync can be optionally disabled.
Set Frame Rate
Ensuring Correct Game Speed
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Go to Options and set Joystick: On.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Limited remapping.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Volume and Ambient.|
|Surround sound||See EAX support. Up to 7.0 output. May require DirectSound 3D restoration software.|
|Subtitles||Available since NewDark 1.22. Simply update the game with the latest TFix, go to this page, and follow the instructions.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||A3D 1.0, EAX 1 |
- Thief features enhanced 3D sound effects that originally required a Creative sound card with special EAX drivers. To use EAX effects on modern systems, do the following:
Install patch and OpenAL
- A detailed forum thread for technical difficulties is available on the Through The Looking Glass forum.
Crashes on multi-core systems
Install TFixInstall NewDark via TFix.
Videos do not play
Install TFixInstall NewDark via TFix.
Retail version won't install
- Owners of the original disc version may encounter problems when attempting to install on modern operating systems.
Run setup.exe in Windows 95 compatibility mode
|Operating system (OS)||XP||Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)|| |
1.8 GHz single core
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)||DirectX 7 compatible||DirectX 9 compatible|
- These are for Thief Gold. The original version of the game may have slightly different requirements.