Thief: The Dark Project
| Release dates
November 30, 1998
|Thief: The Dark Project||1998|
|Thief II: The Metal Age||2000|
|Thief: Deadly Shadows||2004|
|The Dark Mod (unofficial spin-off)||2009|
This page is for the original game. For the 2014 reboot, see Thief (2014).
- TFix fixes problems running the game on modern systems.
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- Thief: The Circle - Contains several patches and user-made content, including general modifications.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
|Amazon.com||Almost exclusively available as part of the Complete Collection which also includes Thief II and Thief: Deadly Shadows.|
|Amazon.com||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
|GamersGate||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
|Green Man Gaming||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
|GOG.com||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
|Steam||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
|Humble Store||Sold as Thief: Gold, an enhanced version with additional extra features.|
- Thief Gold includes extra missions and some other enhancements.
- Two demo versions are available (mirror1/mirror2/mirror3)
- An unified demo version patched with NewDark is also available
TFix updates the game for modern systems. Using it is highly recommended. The GOG.com version already includes some TFix changes.
The Enhancement Pack replaces low quality objects and textures with versions that have higher polygon counts and texture resolutions. It is already included in TFix.
Thief Gold HD Texture Mod
The Thief Gold HD Texture Mod is a pack with HD textures and new effects. It is only compatible with Thief Gold. What adds the HD Mod to the game?: HD textures for all original missions, new vegetation, new water and lava textures, new torch and fire flames, new Fog FX, new Bugbeast HD skin, new Burrick HD skin, new Zombie HD skin, new skies, "NewDark Graphics Settings Tool" - use this tool to config your Thief Gold graphics settings (Anti-Aliasing, Bloom FX...), "Water Mod Tool" - use this tool to choose your own favorite water mod! Note: Makes the game more de-saturated and changes its graphical style in a way some may not like (far more than the Enhancement Pack 2.0 does). A FAQ with installation steps is available.
The GoldToDark is a downgrade patch that will downgrade your Thief Gold into the original Thief The Dark Project, this must be used on top of an existing clean valid installation of Thief Gold.
Enhancement Pack 2.0
Skip intro videos
Configuration file(s) location
- Configuration files are: cam.cfg (basic settings, resolution), cam_ext.cfg (NewDark config), install.cfg and user.bnd (key bindings).
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Install TFix.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Install TFix.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Install TFix.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See Vertical sync (Vsync).|
|High frame rate||See High frame rate.|
Set windowed mode
- Installing TFix enables Vsync by default. Vsync can be optionally disabled.
Set Frame Rate
Ensuring Correct Game Speed
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Go to Options and set Joystick: On.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Limited remapping.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Volume and Ambient.|
|Surround sound||See EAX support. Up to 7.0 output. May require DirectSound 3D restoration software.|
|Subtitles||Available since NewDark 1.22. Simply update the game with the latest TFix, go to this page, and follow the instructions.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||A3D 1.0, EAX 1 |
- Thief features enhanced 3D sound effects that originally required a Creative sound card with special EAX drivers. To use EAX effects on modern systems, do the following:
Install patch and OpenAL
Crashes on multi-core systems
Install TFixInstall NewDark via TFix.
Videos do not play
Install TFixInstall NewDark via TFix.
Retail version won't install
- Owners of the original disc version may encounter problems when attempting to install on modern operating systems.
Run setup.exe in Windows 95 compatibility mode
|Operating system (OS)||XP||Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)|| |
1.8 GHz single core
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)||DirectX 7 compatible||DirectX 9 compatible|
- These are for Thief Gold. The original version of the game may have slightly different requirements.