The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
| Release dates
May 1, 2002
|The Elder Scrolls: Arena||1994|
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall||1996|
|An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire||1997|
|The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard||1998|
|The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind||2002|
|The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion||2006|
|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim||2011|
|The Elder Scrolls Online||2014|
|The Elder Scrolls: Legends||2015|
- The game requires 3rd party patches to fix game breaking issues.
- Official website
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums
- UESP Wiki
- Morrowind Nexus - Modding
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 2.1 Patches
- 2.2 Skip intro videos
- 2.3 Unofficial Patches
- 2.4 Mods
- 2.5 Utilities
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 7.1 Crashing During Install or Launch
- 7.2 Render Creation Failure
- 7.3 Audio Problems (Windows XP)
- 7.4 Grey Haze
- 7.5 Crash After a Few Minutes of Play
- 7.6 Mouse Lag
- 7.7 Load Failure
- 7.8 Black Sun
- 7.9 Installing The Elder Scrolls Construction Set Disc
- 7.10 Unable to construct potions, due to a wrong message it does not have a name
- 8 Other information
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Retail||Requires the disc to be always present in the drive|
|Amazon.com||The Elder Scrolls Anthology; includes Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim plus their expansions.|
|Green Man Gaming|
- The Game of the Year Edition includes both expansions and the latest patches. All digital distribution versions are the Game of the Year Edition and are already fully patched.
- The GameStop PC Downloads/Impulse version is not compatible with some mods. This version is no longer sold.
- The Elder Scrolls Anthology includes both a retail version and a single Steam key that unlocks Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
|Tribunal||Included in the Game of the Year Edition.|
|Bloodmoon||Included in the Game of the Year Edition.|
|Entertainers||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
|Bitter Coast Sounds||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
|Area Effect Arrows||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
|Helm of Tohan||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
|Master Index||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
|LeFemm Armor||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
|Adamantium Armor||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
|Siege at Firemoth||Free download from The Elder Scrolls Official Site.|
- The latest patch for the base Morrowind is 1.2.0722. This patch isn't needed for the Game of the Year Edition and digital distribution versions.
- The latest patch for Tribunal is 1.14.1313. This patch is needed for some retail versions. This patch isn't needed for the retail Game of the Year Edition and digital distribution versions.
- The latest patch for Bloodmoon is 1.6.1820. This patch is needed for some retail versions. This patch isn't needed for the retail Game of the Year Edition and digital distribution versions.
Skip intro videos
Use replacement video filesApply the Morrowind intro skip.
- Fixes several hundred bugs and inconsistencies not covered by the official patches.
- users without both expansions should use the Unofficial Morrowind Patch 1.2.2b (listed as patch2.2b)
- Fixes bugs in the morrowind executable (not covered in the scope of the Unofficial Morrowind Patch).
- Includes several optional improvements; including an important save game corruption fix.
- Incompatible with the encrypted GameStop (Impulse) executable.
- Morrowind Overhaul includes this patch.
- Fixes scripting errors to reduce save bloat and improve stability
- Works with or without expansions
UV Texture fixes
- The following mods fix texture seams:
- Improves performance on older machines.
- Incompatible with non-Intel CPUs.
- incompatible with the encrypted GameStop (Impulse) executable.
If using with Morrowind Code PatchThe Morrowind Code Patch must be run first then exe optimizer.
- Allows the retail version of the game to be played without having the disk inserted.
- Improves stability on systems with at least 3GB RAM by allowing the application to use more than 2GB RAM.
- Particularly when using large numbers of mods or heavily scripted mods
Morroblivion / Skywind
- A full port/remake of Morrowind in the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion engine has been released and is available Morroblivion.
- A full port/remake of Morrowind in the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim engine is still work in progress Skywind.
A compilation of mods with a fully automated installer and an automatic updater.
- Improved visuals, effects, sounds and Higher Resolution Textures.
- This mod cannot be used with the encrypted GameStop (Impulse) executable.
- Includes Morrowind Code Patch and MGE.
During install, the mod may take control of the user's mouse and keyboard for periods of time as it selects the correct settings needed for its successful installation. The user is given a choice of graphics options that best suits their setup, as, on its highest settings, the mod requires a very powerful setup to run smoothly. Users who have installed the mod and are experiencing low frame rates may wish to disable the "water effects" and "distant lands" settings using
Many users have experienced issues with the game merely displaying a black screen past the main menu. There are two causes of this issue - their solutions are outlined below:
Morrowind Graphics Extender is a utility capable of improving the graphics in Morrowind. Some users may prefer to install MGE individually in order to build their own overhaul or retain the original textures of vanilla Morrowind. The most prominent feature offered by MGE is the addition of the "Distant Lands" distant landscape, but it is also capable of adding shaders, better water, and a myriad of other improvements.
- included in Morrowind Overhaul.
An updated fork of MGE with expanded features, bug fixes and performance enhancements over standard MGE.
Sorts mod load order to reduce conflicts and provides messages regarding known issues with mods.
3rd Party mod manager and conflict resolution tool.
The Elder Scrolls Construction Set
Shipped alongside the game, The Elder Scrolls Construction Set is the tool used by Bethesda to create the Morrowind game world, it offers the ability to create plug-ins and mods. The set makes use of a proprietary file extension, as with the Oblivion set (.esp).
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Steam Cloud||Syncs save games.|
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Multi-monitor||See the WSGF entry.|
|Ultra-widescreen||See the WSGF entry.|
|Field of view (FOV)||75° by default; see Widescreen resolution.|
|Windowed||Set in launcher.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|120+ FPS||No frame rate cap.|
Set widescreen resolution
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Must be enabled first.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Voice, Effects, Footsteps, Music.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Italian||Use Morrowind Italian Translation.|
|Spanish||Use Ultimate Pack Traducción Morrowind Español.|
Crashing During Install or Launch
Crashing During Install or Launch
Some users have reported issues with crashes whilst installing or launching the game. This can often be put down to a conflict between the Macrovision SafeDisc encryption software packaged with the game, and specific background programs installed on your computer. Programs known to lead to this conflict:
Render Creation Failure
Render Creation Failure
However, the issue may also be caused by the following:
Audio Problems (Windows XP)
Audio Problems (Windows XP)
Crash After a Few Minutes of Play
Crash After A Few Minutes of Play
Turning down the music slider to its minimum often results in severe mouse lag, particularly indoors.
Load FailureSome users who have installed both the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions separately have reported loading errors, which are caused by the expansions being installed in the wrong order. This can be resolved by installing Bloodmoon over the top of the existing installations, with no need to uninstall anything.
Black SunUsers with ATI Radeon graphics cards often see a black sun during gameplay. This graphical anomaly can be resolved by installing the fan-made "ATI Card Sun Fix" mod.
Installing The Elder Scrolls Construction Set Disc
Unable to construct potions, due to a wrong message it does not have a name
Compatibility issue
An in-development open-source re-implementation of Morrowind's engine, OpenMW allows Morrowind to be played natively on Windows, OS X, and Linux as well as enhance the game by correcting engine-related bugs such as savegame "doubling" and improving physics, combat, AI, and graphics.
|Operating system (OS)||98, ME, 2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||500 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||128 MB (98, ME) / 256 MB (2000, XP)|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||1 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| Direct3D compatible card |
32 MB of VRAM
- The Complete Elder Scrolls Collection comes to PC this September (Updated) | Bethesda Blog
- Black Screen Unrelated to Steam (Problem starting new game) - RPG Italia Forums
- Known Issues and Resolutions - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind Forums
- OpenMW FAQ