Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
| Release dates
June 1, 2005
November 12, 2010
|Grand Theft Auto||1997|
|Grand Theft Auto 2||1999|
|Grand Theft Auto III||2002|
|Grand Theft Auto: Vice City||2003|
|Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas||2005|
|Grand Theft Auto IV||2008|
|Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City||2010|
- The Steam version has no third-party DRM and supports both Windows and OS X.
- Disabling frame limiter bypass 25 FPS limit, but introduces lots of weirdness (especially physical and driving problems)
- Official game site
- GTAForums - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Discussion
- Grand Theft Auto Wiki
- GTA Network - A huge network of fansites all dedicated to the Grand Theft Auto series
- GTA Garage Mod Database
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 7.1 Game does not start on Windows 8/8.1 due to error message prompting you to install DirectX 9.0
- 7.2 Game crash to desktop during startup
- 7.3 Car handles like the handbrake is always on
- 7.4 Game Crashes when Cars Explode
- 7.5 Mouse Fails to Work
- 7.6 Can't Dive Underwater
- 7.7 CamHack Utility Crashes Upon Opening
- 7.8 Game crashes with User Radio
- 7.9 Intro movies not showing
- 7.10 Game doesn't alt-tab
- 7.11 Mouse Sensitivity Issues
- 7.12 Alley Oop Driving School Mission Difficulty
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
|Steam||Windows and OS X. No third-party DRM.|
|Amazon.com||Choice of Steam key, non-Steam download, or retail DVD, each sold separately. Only the Steam version supports OS X.|
|GamersGate||Windows only. Third-party DRM: SecuROM.|
- A version 1.0 executable is required by some mods.
Steam users can downgrade to version 1.0 by following the instructions in this Steam thread. Non-Steam users can downgrade to version 1.0 by using the downgrader. If downgrading the game causes crashes, follow these instructions.
- Version 1.5, although unofficial, includes a fix needed for Windows versions later than XP.
- Provides, among other features, support for any Aspect Ratio and unlimited FOV adjustment.
- Provides configuration options for gamepads, that are missing from the base game.
- The analog, axis-based controls allow for far more precise driving.
- Requires version 1.0.
- If you experience any trouble running this mod follow these instructions.
- Fixes nearly all the bugs in the game.
- Fixes differences from the PS2 version, such as missing buildings.
- Unlocks some content that was provided with the game, but never used.
- This is a full conversion mod that overrides the San Andreas files.
- This mod is in BETA. Nearly everything is included except the majority of story missions.
- Provides an unofficial PC port of the Sony exclusive game.
- Currently two major multiplayer mods exist, Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas, and San Andreas Multiplayer.
- Arguably, Multi Theft Auto is more advanced, however San Andreas Multiplayer currently has a larger community. Both mods require a version 1.0 executable.
Restore diffuse lighting
Frame limiter fix
- With the frame limiter off, game-breaking bugs and glitches appear in-game.
- Some missions such as Amphibious Assault are unpassable without a frame limiter on.
One of these fixes should be applied:
- Turn Frame Limiter on in-game via
Options > Display > Advanced > Frame Limiter.
- Install a Frame Limiter mod such as this one, which allows you to choose a frame limit, without the glitches from the in-game frame limiter.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files|
|OS X||~/Documents/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas User Files|
|Widescreen resolution||See widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Camhack allows adjustment.|
|Windowed||You can use this D3D hooker (put into installation folder) or this ASI mod (ASI loader required).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Frame Limiter Option is available, but limits game to 25 FPS.|
|High frame rate||Disabling 25 FPS frame limiter causes problems with physics and driving.|
- Steam version supports all resolutions up to 1680x1050, while 1.0 version without mods lacks 16:9/16:10 resolutions. Downgrading/upgrading to 1.01 allows all the resolutions (albeit with lowered FOV and the problems mentioned below)
Set widescreen resolution • Link
The only that:
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Use SAAC or GInput.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Touchscreen optimised||Windows Store version only.|
|Separate volume controls||Independent radio and effects volume.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX 3.|
Game does not start on Windows 8/8.1 due to error message prompting you to install DirectX 9.0
The Fix • Link
Game crash to desktop during startup
There are many reasons if your game crash before displaying loading screen. The main ones are listed below.
Another could be the lack of the language files.
<path-to-game>\TEXT and check if you have all the 5 translations files. If not download them.
Car handles like the handbrake is always on
This is caused by the game running too fast and can be corrected several ways.
- Enable Frame Limiter in the game settings. (Note: this will limit the frame rate to 25)
- Force vertical sync in the driver control panel.
- Use GTA:SA FPS Limit Adjuster.
Game Crashes when Cars Explode
This problem usually occurs on Windows Vista and Windows 7 when running the game with 32-bit graphics. To fix this, run
gta_sa.exe in Windows 2000 compatibility mode. This problem can sometimes occur when two or more monitors are enabled. To fix this, try turning visual FX to low or disable additional monitors so only one screen is active.
Mouse Fails to Work
This is an issue where the mouse becomes inactive in game if the game is running on a multi core processor. To fix this start the game and ALT+TAB to the desktop when the game initially opens, start the Task Manager and select the Processes tab. Right-click
gta-sa.exe and select Set Affinity. Uncheck all the boxes except CPU 0 and ALT+TAB back to the game. This process must be repeated every time the game is initiated.
Can't Dive Underwater
To fix this switch frame limiter to on in the games options menu. This will dramatically reduce frame rate however characters will now dive underwater so it's advised to select this option only when necessary.
CamHack Utility Crashes Upon Opening
- The CamHack 1.5 utility may crash immediately upon opening on Windows 7 64-bit.
Download updated DLL • Link
Game crashes with User Radio
The game may crash when playing with User Radio Player. To fix this, turn on the frame limiter in the Options menu. This bug was fixed in patch 1.01.
Intro movies not showing
On specific configurations (especially with newer windows OSs) Rockstar and San Andreas intros won't be played properly.
You need to disable desktop composition into gta compatibility proprieties (REQUIRED). This could be sufficient to solve the problem.
IF NOT then you need ALSO to • Link
If even after this problems keep going on, the only other solution is to rename
<path-to-game>/MOVIES folder to something else.
Game doesn't alt-tab
Although in normal conditions the game alt-tab pretty well and fast, if you have the broken intros issue alt-tab could be a mess.
Mouse Sensitivity Issues
When aiming the vertical sensitivity may be higher than the horizontal sensitivity (or vice-versa). To fix this:
- Open the game and go to Options -> Controller Setup -> Mouse Settings.
- Set the Mouse Sensitivity to the middle (8 bars).
- Adjust your mouse sensitivity outside of the game using the Windows Control Panel, the DPI button on your mouse, or the software that came with your mouse.
Alternatively there is a DLL plugin fix available here.
Alley Oop Driving School Mission Difficulty
|Operating system (OS)|| |
2000 or XP
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium III 1 GHz or AMD Athlon 1 GHz||Intel Pentium 4 2 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2000+|
|System memory (RAM)|| |
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)||NVIDIA GeForce 3 64 MB or ATi 64 MB DirectX 8.1 equialent|| NVIDIA GeForce 6200 128 MB or ATi 128 MB DirectX 9.0c equivalent |
1024 of VRAM
|Operating system (OS)||Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo Processor or better|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||5.2 GB|
|Video card (GPU)||ATI X1600, NVIDIA 7300GT, Intel X3100 integrated graphics chip, or better|