Grand Theft Auto IV
| Release dates
December 2, 2008
|Grand Theft Auto||1997|
|Grand Theft Auto 2||1999|
|Grand Theft Auto III||2002|
|Grand Theft Auto: Vice City||2003|
|Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas||2005|
|Grand Theft Auto IV||2008|
|Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City||2010|
|Grand Theft Auto V||2015|
- Shares many similarities with Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City in terms of its engine and performance.
- Extensive modding community, along with Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.
- Reports indicate this title is a poor port.
- Rockstar Games's Official Grand Theft Auto site
- Rockstar Support
- Grand Theft Auto Wiki
- GTA Modding - A wiki hosting mod information for the GTA series.
- GTAForums - Grand Theft Auto IV Discussion
- GTA Network - A huge network of fansites all dedicated to the Grand Theft Auto series
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network
- 8 Issues fixed
- 9 Other information
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|GameStop||"Complete Edition" only|
|Green Man Gaming|
- All versions require Games for Windows - LIVE and SecuROM.
- Online features require Rockstar Games Social Club.
Skip intro videos
- When running the game, you can use command line modifiers to optimize performance:
- Patch 188.8.131.52 - Latest version, includes a number of fixes.
- The 184.108.40.206+ patch no longer requires Rockstar Social Club to be launched in order to run the game.
Downgrade to 220.127.116.11
- Some mods work only with this version. This version is also claimed to improve game performance
- Multiplayer won't work with older versions
Apply old 18.104.22.168 patch
- GTA Garage
- GTA Police Mods
- First person mod
- iCEnhancer - Notable graphical enhancement mod.
- It is strongly recommended to make a backup of any files modifications may replace or amend in the event of corruption.
If you want to be able to add modifications to your GTA IV base game you will need to proceed with the steps below.
- XLiveLess will disable all multiplayer functionality to prevent cheating.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||Default config files are encrypted! Use commandline(.txt) in default installation folder, or use set launch options in Steam|
Save game data location
|Windows||%LOCALAPPDATA%\Rockstar Games\GTA IV|
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\XLivemust also be backed up as the save data is bound to the Games for Windows - LIVE profile.
|Widescreen resolution||Supports 16.9|
|Multi-monitor||Can support 3+ monitors|
|Field of view (FOV)||Pressing V will change camera angle and field of view slightly.|
|Windowed||See Command Line|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/download|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to x16 filtering.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Can be forced through either the NVIDIA Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Forces the frame rate to display the same as your monitors refresh rate, removing screen tear.|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See DirectInput Controller support|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Can only switch between pre-set layouts.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
- Recoil seems to be inexistant with the mouse whereas it works properly with a gamepad. This makes the game much easier and shooting less realistic with a mouse over a gamepad.
- Fixable with the Bullet Spread/Recoil Fix mod. But this mod seems to not work with the 22.214.171.124 version.
DirectInput Controller support
There are two ways of enabling it
Add arguments to a command line
Option in Controller Settings
PS3 Controller Buttons
If using a PS2/PS3 controller, you might want to change the Xbox 360 buttons to the PS2/PS3 buttons. In order to do so, follow the instructions below.
|Separate volume controls||SFX & Music.|
|Surround sound||Up to 5.0 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Social Club website stat tracking and leaderboards have been shut down. All other online features are unaffected.
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP (outbound)||53, 80, 3074|
|UDP (outbound)||53, 88, 3074|
- Game uses Games for Windows - LIVE. Make sure you are running latest version and refer to the concerning page if you have further problems
Fatal error RMN20 upon attempted launch
Fatal error RMN20 upon attempted launch
Force maximum available memory
If you encounter stutter and other performance issues after running the game for a while consider trying one of these in your
Game minimizes after clicking start
Minimizing After Start
If the game minimizes after selecting between GTA IV base and EFLC and can not be made full screen again it may be a problem with PunkBuster. It can be fixed by stopping it from running.
Game will load with minimal graphic settings and won't let you change them
- For some video cards the game will run but won't let you change the graphics settings to anything better. In order to force the game to allow the changes, load the .exe with the extra parameter:
Bypass graphics restrictions on Steam version
Bypass graphics restrictions on other versions
AMD Radeon water fix
There is a problem where the water loses its features and details after a while. Follow the instructions below to resolve this.
Algonquin Bridge lag issue
If you're experiencing significant FPS drops only on the Algonquin Bridge with an Intel i7 processor.
Invisible fonts glitch
- An invisible fonts glitch may occur which involves game menu text disappearing, follow the instructions below to resolve it.
Grand Theft Auto IV allows users to play their own music on a custom radio station, Independence FM. Simply place any MP3, WMA, or M4A (audio file) in the
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music folder, and tune into the station in-game. If the music library is on an external HDD, a shortcut placed in the
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music folder will work too!
By creating a file called
commandline.txt and saving it to your root installation folder you can alter the way your game runs. If you are using Steam; go to the game in your library, right-click and click Properties, select Set Launch Options... and enter the commands separated by spaces.
The table below describes the majority of commands usable in the command line file.
|Command Line||Definition||Example Usage|
|width||sets the horizontal resolution|| |
|height||sets the vertical resolution|| |
|texturequality||changes texture quality low/med/high (0-2)|| |
|shadowdensity||adjusts shadows thrown up by car lights (0-16)|| |
|renderquality||adjusts the render quality of the game (0- 4)|| |
|viewdistance||adjusts the view distance (0-99)|| |
|detailquality||adjusts the detail distance (0-99)|| |
|norestrictions||removes memory restrictions on graphic settings|| |
|novblank||removes good ole v-sync|| |
|safemode||runs GTA 4 with everything set to as low as you can go|| |
|fullscreen||runs GTA 4 fullscreen|| |
|windowed||runs GTA 4 windowed|| |
|availablevidmem||allocates some system ram as additional vram|| |
|percentvidmem||how much vram of your gpu GTA 4 can use, 1.0 will be all of it and 0.5 will be half|| |
|frameLimit||limits your frame rate to the refresh rate|| |
|refreshrate||adjusts the refresh rate (oddly enough) be careful do not set a refresh rate your monitor can't do|| |
|fullspecaudio||enable high-end cpu audio|| |
|minspecaudio||enable low-end cpu audio|| |
|noprecache||turns precache off|| |
|nomemrestrict||turns all memory restrictions off|| |
|benchmark||starts the in game benchmark and then quits the game|| |
|help||lists the commands and usage but doesn't look as snazzy as this|| |
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3, Vista SP1||XP SP3, Vista SP1|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4 GHz||Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||1.5 GB||2.5 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||16 GB||18 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| GeForce 7900
256 MB of VRAM
| GeForce 8600 |
512 MB of VRAM
- Online play requires log-in to Games for Windows - LIVE.
- Patch 126.96.36.199 vs Patch 188.8.131.52 - GTA Forums
- [HowTo]Downgrade of the steamversion of GTAIV to 184.108.40.206 - GTAGaming Forums
- New 120Hz Games Report
- Currently Supported Controllers for GTA IV PC - Rockstar Support
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Effect of GameSpy Closure on Past Rockstar Titles – Rockstar Support
- GTA IV: Error Code RMN20 - Rockstar Support
- How to use -memrestrict to fix stuttering - GTA Forums