Grand Theft Auto IV
| Release dates
December 2, 2008
|Grand Theft Auto||1997|
|Grand Theft Auto 2||1999|
|Grand Theft Auto III||2002|
|Grand Theft Auto: Vice City||2003|
|Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas||2005|
|Grand Theft Auto IV||2008|
|Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City||2010|
|Grand Theft Auto V||2015|
- Shares many similarities with Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City in terms of its engine and performance.
- Extensive modding community, along with Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.
- Ability to import your music for your own custom radio station.
- Reports indicate this title is a poor port.
- Rockstar Support
- GTA Modding - A wiki hosting mod information for the GTA series.
- GTAForums - Grand Theft Auto IV Discussion
- GTA Network - A huge network of fansites all dedicated to the Grand Theft Auto series
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network
- 8 VR support
- 9 Issues fixed
- 10 Other information
- 11 System requirements
- 12 References
|GameStop||Complete Edition only|
|Green Man Gaming|
- All versions require Games for Windows - LIVE and SecuROM.
- Online features require Rockstar Games Social Club.
Skip intro videos
InstructionsApply the GTA IV Intro Patch.
- Patch 220.127.116.11 - Latest version, includes a number of fixes.
- Since 18.104.22.168 patch Rockstar Social Club is no longer required to run the game.
Downgrade to 22.214.171.124
- Some mods work only with this version. This version is also claimed to improve game performance
- Multiplayer won't work with older versions
Apply old 126.96.36.199 patch
Flash Player is required to use the Social Club TV features. Flash Player for Internet Explorer is version that needs to be installed.
Install Flash Player
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%LOCALAPPDATA%\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings\SETTINGS.CFG|
- Configuration files are encrypted. For an alternative, see Command Line.
Save game data location
|Windows||%LOCALAPPDATA%\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\<user-id>\|
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\XLivemust also be backed up as the save data is bound to the Games for Windows - LIVE profile.
|Field of view (FOV)||Use Ultimate Camera Control.|
|Windowed||See Command Line.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Windowed Borderless Gaming.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Can be forced through the NVIDIA Control Panel/AMD Control Center.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||In-game Vsync locks the frame rate to 55. |
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See DirectInput Controller support|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Can only switch between pre-set layouts.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
- Recoil seems to be inexistant with the mouse whereas it works properly with a gamepad. This makes the game much easier and shooting less realistic with a mouse over a gamepad. This is fixable with the Bullet Spread/Recoil Fix mod.
DirectInput Controller support
There are two ways of enabling it
Option in Controller Settings
PS3 Controller Buttons
If using a PS2/PS3 controller, you might want to change the Xbox 360 buttons to the PS2/PS3 buttons. In order to do so, follow the instructions below.
|Separate volume controls||SFX & Music.|
|Surround sound||Up to 5.0 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Social Club website stat tracking and leaderboards have been shut down. All other online features are unaffected.
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP (outbound)||53, 80, 3074|
|UDP (outbound)||53, 88, 3074|
|Nvidia 3D Vision|
|Oculus Rift||See RiftEnabled.|
- Game uses Games for Windows - LIVE. Make sure you are running latest version and refer to the concerning page if you have further problems
Fatal error RMN20 upon attempted launch
Fatal error RMN20 upon attempted launch
Force maximum available memory
If you encounter stutter and other performance issues after running the game for a while consider trying one of these in your
Game minimizes after clicking start
Minimizing After Start
If the game minimizes after selecting between GTA IV base and EFLC and can not be made full screen again it may be a problem with PunkBuster. It can be fixed by stopping it from running.
Game will load with minimal graphic settings and won't let you change them
- For some video cards the game will run but won't let you change the graphics settings to anything better. In order to force the game to allow the changes, load the .exe with the extra parameter:
-norestrictions. If running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, run the game in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (SP2).
Bypass graphics restrictions on Steam version
Bypass graphics restrictions on other versions
AMD Radeon water fix
There is a problem where the water loses its features and details after a while. Follow the instructions below to resolve this.
Algonquin Bridge lag issue
If you're experiencing significant FPS drops only on the Algonquin Bridge with an Intel i7 processor.
Invisible fonts glitch
- An invisible fonts glitch may occur which involves game menu text disappearing, follow the instructions below to resolve it.
2GB+ VRAM is wrongly recognized
Force increase video memory
- GTA Garage
- GTA Police Mods
- First person mod
- iCEnhancer - Notable graphical enhancement mod.
- It is strongly recommended to make a backup of any files modifications may replace or amend in the event of corruption.
- XLiveLess enables modding.
- XLiveLess disables all multiplayer functionality to prevent cheating.
Grand Theft Auto IV allows users to play their own music on a custom radio station, Independence FM.
- Simply place any audio files / folders or create shortcuts in the
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Musicfolder, and tune into the station in-game.
- Supported formats are MP3, WMA, M4A. Other formats and extensions are not recognized.
- QuickTime or iTunes needs to be installed for M4A support.
- FLAC is not supported. Convert to WMA Lossless to use in-game.
- Use shortcuts to audio files / folders to save disk space and improve performance.
- Supports High-resolution audio files. Up to 96 kHz / 24 bit.
- Supports Surround audio files. Up to 6 channels.
- Monaural audio files not supported.
By creating a file called
commandline.txt and saving it to your root installation folder you can alter the way your game runs. If you are using Steam; go to the game in your library, right-click and click Properties, select Set Launch Options... and enter the commands separated by spaces.
The table below describes the majority of commands usable in the command line file.
|Command Line||Definition||Example Usage|
|width||sets the horizontal resolution|| |
|height||sets the vertical resolution|| |
|texturequality||changes texture quality low/med/high (0-2)|| |
|shadowdensity||adjusts shadows thrown up by car lights (0-16)|| |
|renderquality||adjusts the render quality of the game (0- 4)|| |
|viewdistance||adjusts the view distance (0-99)|| |
|detailquality||adjusts the detail distance (0-99)|| |
|norestrictions||removes memory restrictions on graphic settings|| |
|novblank||removes good ole v-sync|| |
|safemode||runs GTA 4 with everything set to as low as you can go|| |
|fullscreen||runs GTA 4 fullscreen|| |
|windowed||runs GTA 4 windowed|| |
|availablevidmem||allocates some system ram as additional vram|| |
|percentvidmem||how much vram of your gpu GTA 4 can use, 1.0 will be all of it and 0.5 will be half|| |
|frameLimit||limits your frame rate to the refresh rate|| |
|refreshrate||adjusts the refresh rate (oddly enough) be careful do not set a refresh rate your monitor can't do|| |
|fullspecaudio||enable high-end cpu audio|| |
|minspecaudio||enable low-end cpu audio|| |
|noprecache||turns precache off|| |
|nomemrestrict||turns all memory restrictions off|| |
|benchmark||starts the in game benchmark and then quits the game|| |
|help||lists the commands and usage but doesn't look as snazzy as this|| |
Launch the game with -norestrictions -nomemrestrict parameters
|Operating system (OS)|| |
XP SP3, Vista SP1
|Processor (CPU)|| AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz
| AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz|
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
|System memory (RAM)||1.5 GB||2.5 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||16 GB||18 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI X1900
256 MB of VRAM
| ATI 3870 |
512 MB of VRAM
- Online play requires log-in to Games for Windows - LIVE.
- Patch 188.8.131.52 vs Patch 184.108.40.206 - GTA Forums
- [REL|III|VC|SA|IV] Project 2dfx - GTAForums
- [HowTo]Downgrade of the steamversion of GTAIV to 220.127.116.11 - GTAGaming Forums
- New 120Hz Games Report
- Currently Supported Controllers for GTA IV PC - Rockstar Support
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Effect of GameSpy Closure on Past Rockstar Titles – Rockstar Support
- GTA IV: Error Code RMN20 - Rockstar Support
- How to use -memrestrict to fix stuttering - GTA Forums
- How do i get over 60 fps in GTA 4 ?? - Steam Community Discussions
- Issues with GTA IV showing video cards with over 2GB as under spec – Rockstar Support
- Independence FM (User radio) in GTA IV - Rockstar Support