| Release dates
October 28, 2008
|Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel||2001|
|Fallout: New Vegas||2010|
- Runs better on Windows 7 and later with the multiple core CPU fix.
- Shares many similarities with Fallout: New Vegas in terms of its engine and performance.
- Extensive modding community.
- Steam Community Discussions (Game of the Year Edition)
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- No Humans Allowed Forums for game
- Fallout 3 Nexus - the most popular host for almost all Fallout 3 mods.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 VR support
- 8 Issues fixed
- 8.1 Game crashes randomly
- 8.2 Certain non-conversation voices, such as museum exhibits and random speech, are too quiet
- 8.3 Game keeps minimizing
- 8.4 Crash when starting new game or loading save
- 8.5 Pip-Boy radio skipping or stuttering
- 8.6 Game crashes on start-up
- 8.7 Game hangs on closing
- 8.8 Crash when leaving Rivet City Marketplace
- 9 Other information
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|Retail|| Launcher uses SecuRom's disc check, run with
|Amazon.com||Game of the Year Edition is also available.|
|GamersGate||Game of the Year Edition is also available.|
|GameStop||Game of the Year Edition.|
|Green Man Gaming||Game of the Year Edition is also available.|
|Humble Store||Game of the Year Edition is also available.|
|Steam||Game of the Year Edition is also available.|
|Uplay||Game of the Year Edition is also available.|
- All versions require Games for Windows - LIVE.
- GFWL profile, local or otherwise, is not required for play (and by extension, a product key is not required for play). Local GFWL profile can be created and doesn't require a product key. Connecting to a Microsoft account requires a product key, each allowing 10 or so online activations.
- The Game of the Year Edition includes all DLC, and is the best choice for price and modding capability.
- The German version only includes the German language and has content differences (e.g. no blood/gore).
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
- The v 1.7 patch updates the game to the latest version. The Steam version is already patched. The Retail Game of the Year Edition will apply the patch during the DLC disc installation.
Skip intro video
- Nexus Mod Manager - the best mod manager for Fallout 3, making the process of installing mods much easier.
- Fixes many of the bugs which official Bethesda patches never solved
- Disables Games for Windows - LIVE (GFWL) when run.
- Used by many Fallout 3 mods to extend the scripting capabilities of Fallout 3's game engine.
- Russian and Polish DVD retail copies, Direct2Drive copies, and the unpatched game (18.104.22.168) are all unsupported.
Tale of Two Wastelands
- Tale of Two Wastelands combines Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas into a single game. It uses the New Vegas engine. It also requires you to have all of the DLC.
Play without Games for Windows - LIVE
- Games for Windows Live can be disabled as an alternative to using a local profile.
Games for Windows - LIVE Disabler
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
Save games missing
If logged into Games for Windows LIVE, the game will save the save files under the currently logged-in username. If logged out of the service, the game will be unable to locate the saves.
Retrieve Missing Saves
If you restart the game, your saves should be detected.
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Working using Borderless Windowed, ShiftWindow and AutoHotkey.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Set in launcher. Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Set in launcher. Up to 8x MSAA.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Toggle in launcher is broken. Set iPresentInterval=0 in fallout.ini to disable|
|High frame rate|| If v-sync is enabled, there's a 96 FPS cap regardless of actual refresh rate|
Possible physics issues might be experienced too
- Most graphics options are accessible on the main launcher screen.
- Adds support for multi-monitor displays.
- Displays HUD on the middle display.
- Relevant multi-monitor resolutions:
3840x1024 5040x1050 iSafeZoneXWide=610 iSafeZoneXWide=770 iSafeZoneYWide=15 iSafeZoneYWide=15 iSafeZoneX=610 iSafeZoneX=770
Edit Field of view (FOV)
These values use the 5:4 aspect ratio as a baseline FOV:
Aspect Ratio FOV Value 4:3 79.9000 16:9 105.3000 15:9 99.0000 16:10 95.2000 21:9 80.0000
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Enabled by default; see Mouse acceleration.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Native XInput controller support.|
|Full controller support||Partial support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
Disable mouse acceleration
|Separate volume controls||Music, footsteps, voice, effects and radio.|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.1 output|
|Subtitles||Shows one subtitle at a time.|
|Mute on focus lost|
- May require DirectSound3D restoration software to restore proper audio functionality on Vista and later.
|Nvidia 3D Vision||Use Helix Mod: Fallout 3 for better 3D support.|
- TweakGuides has created a comprehensive guide for fixing issues in this game. It can be found here.
Game crashes randomly
- Caused by problems with multi-core CPUs on Windows 7 and later.
Multiple Core CPU Fix
Follow this link for an in-depth guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYjblafxHYI
Disable .Net 3.1
Disable any kind of overlay that may interfere with the game
Certain non-conversation voices, such as museum exhibits and random speech, are too quiet
Editing the config file
Game keeps minimizing
- Caused by the cursor being active in the background (and clicking Icons, Links, Buttons etc.)
Disable Visual Themes and Desktop Composition
Crash when starting new game or loading save
Run as administrator
Disable Windows Aero
Place a dll in the install folder
Pip-Boy radio skipping or stuttering
- Commonly caused by an issue with current MP3 codec, the format used exclusively by songs played through PipBoy radio.
- The music may not be stuttering when the game is minimized, with the song played normally.
Fix for Creative X-Fi soundcards
Disable MP3 decoding in LAV Splitter Configuration
Game crashes on start-up
Update Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable
Disable Other Monitors
Change FalloutPrefs.ini to reference your current GPU
Game hangs on closing
Disable threaded audio
Crash when leaving Rivet City Marketplace
- Happens when first entering the Rivet City marketplace to learn the history and then leaving through the door to the stairwell.
The issue is the Unofficial Patch for Broken Steel
|Shader Model support||3|
- This patch may remove GFWL!
- Improves stability on systems with at least 3GB RAM, when using many heavily scripted mods
|Operating system (OS)|| |
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz||Intel Core 2 Duo|
|System memory (RAM)|| 1 GB (XP)
2 GB (Vista)
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon X850
Nvidia GeForce 6800
256 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
| ATI Radeon HD 3800 |
Nvidia GeForce 8800
512 MB of VRAM
- Fallout 3 Tweak Guide - TweakGuides.com
- Tested by Andytizer.
- TweaksGuides.com Fallout 3 Tweak Guide - TweakGuides.com
- Mouse acceleration in new patch makes game unplayable - Bethesda Softworks Forums
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - Steam Users' Forums
- Fallout 3 GOTY Modulated Voices too quiet - Steam Users' Forums
- [BUG] Stuck in rivet city! Crash to Desktop on exit! (NOW RESOLVED!) - Steam Users' Forums