| Release dates
October 28, 2008
|Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel||2001|
|Fallout: New Vegas||2010|
|Old World Blues|
|Gun Runners' Arsenal|
- Runs better on Windows 7 and newer with the multiple core CPU fix.
- Shares many similarities with Fallout: New Vegas in terms of its engine and performance.
- Extensive modding community.
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- No Humans Allowed Forums for game
- Fallout 3 Nexus - the most popular host for almost all Fallout 3 mods.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
|Steam||A Game of the Year Edition is also available.|
- All versions require Games for Windows - LIVE.
- The Game of the Year Edition includes all DLC, and is the best choice for price and modding capability.
- Nexus Mod Manager - the best mod manager for Fallout 3, making the process of installing mods much easier.
- Fixes many of the bugs which official Bethesda patches never solved
- Free registration required to download.
- Improves performance for any 64-bit operating system with more than 2 GB RAM by allowing the game to access up to 4GB RAM.
- This patch may remove GFWL!
- Russian and Polish DVD retail copies, Direct2Drive copies, and the unpatched game (18.104.22.168) are all unsupported.
- Disables GFWL when run.
- Used by many Fallout 3 mods to extend the scripting capabilities of Fallout 3's game engine.
Play without Games for Windows - LIVE
- Games for Windows Live can be disabled as an alternative to using a local profile.
Games for Windows - LIVE Disabler • Link
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
Save games missing
If logged into Games for Windows LIVE, the game will save the save files under the currently logged-in username. If logged out of the service, the game will be unable to locate the saves.
Retrieve Missing Saves • Link
If you restart the game, your saves should be detected.
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Working using GameCompanion, Borderless Windowed, ShiftWindow and AutoHotKey.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Set in launcher, up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Set in launcher.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate|
- Most graphics options are accessible on the main launcher screen.
- Adds support for multi-monitor displays.
- Displays HUD on the middle display.
Multi-monitor • Link
- Relevant multi-monitor resolutions:
3840x1024 5040x1050 iSafeZoneXWide=610 iSafeZoneXWide=770 iSafeZoneYWide=15 iSafeZoneYWide=15 iSafeZoneX=610 iSafeZoneX=770
These values use the 5:4 aspect ratio as a baseline FOV:
Aspect Ratio FOV Value 4:3 79.9000 16:9 105.3000 15:9 99.0000 16:10 95.2000
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Enabled by default; see Mouse acceleration.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||Native XInput controller support.|
|Full controller support||Partial support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Music, footsteps, voice, effects and radio.|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.1 output|
|Subtitles||Shows one subtitle at a time.|
|Mute on focus lost|
- May require DirectSound3D restoration software to restore proper audio functionality on Vista and newer Windows operating systems.
- TweakGuides has created a comprehensive guide for fixing issues in this game. It can be found here.
Game crashes randomly
- Caused by problems with multi-core CPUs on Windows 7 and newer.
Follow this link for an in-depth guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYjblafxHYI
Disable .Net 3.1 • Link
Game keeps minimizing
- Caused by the cursor being active in the background (and clicking Icons, Links, Buttons etc.)
Disable Visual Themes and Desktop Composition • Link
Crash when starting new game or loading save
Reinstall Codecs • Link
Run as administrator • Link
Disable Windows Aero • Link
Place a dll in the install folder • Link
Pip-Boy radio skipping or stuttering
- Commonly caused by an issue with current MP3 codec, the format used exclusively by songs played through PipBoy radio.
- The music may not be stuttering when the game is minimized, with the song played normally.
Fix for Creative X-Fi soundcards • Link
Disable MP3 decoding in LAV Splitter Configuration • Link
Game crashes on start-up
Disable Other Monitors • Link
Windows 8.1 • Link
Change FalloutPrefs.ini to reference your current GPU • Link
Game hangs on closing
Disable threaded audio • Link
Crash when leaving Rivet City Marketplace
- Happens when first entering the Rivet City marketplace to learn the history and then leaving through the door to the stairwell.
|Operating system (OS)|| |
|Processor (CPU)||2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4||Intel Core 2 Duo|
|System memory (RAM)|| 1 GB (XP)
2 GB (Vista)
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| nVidia 6800
256 MB of VRAM
| nVidia 8800 series |
ATi 3800 series
512 MB of VRAM
- Tested by Andytizer.
- TweaksGuides.com Fallout 3 Tweak Guide - TweakGuides.com
- Mouse acceleration in new patch makes game unplayable - Bethesda Softworks Forums
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Fallout 3 on Windows 7 - Steam Users' Forums
- [BUG] Stuck in rivet city! Crash to Desktop on exit! (NOW RESOLVED!) - Steam Users' Forums