| Release dates
August 14, 2012
- THQ promised to implement a configuration file to customise the experience, but this was never implemented.
- The game has been ported poorly with numerous configuration and launching issues.
- Official Forums
- THQ Darksider II Forum - Technical Help & Bug Reporting - not PC-specific
- Darksiders Wiki - A wiki for the series
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 Issues unresolved
- 8.1 Freezing while exiting pause or inventory screens
- 8.2 Using the phasewalker at the first portal after Lilith gives it to you to reach Samael
- 8.3 Karkinos Does Not React To Eggs Thrown (Thus UNBEATABLE)
- 8.4 Alt+Tab will often result in crashing the game
- 8.5 When getting the Redemption, you can't use it because it didn't load itself. ( You can hear the 'klak' voice but nothing happened!)
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
- All versions require Steam.
Skip intro videos
Delete/rename video files
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\darksiders 2|
|Multi-monitor||Limited support. Widescreen Fixer is recommended.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See Anisotropic filtering (AF).|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Added in Update 3; see Anti-aliasing (AA).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See Vertical sync (Vsync).|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
- The settings are only available after the cinematic introduction displayed when starting a new game. No real "Main menu" before starting/loading a game.
Borderless fullscreen windowed
- No in-game setting for Anisotropic Filtering. The type and amount of filtering used when not forced is unknown.
Graphics AdaptorAnistropic Filtering (preferably 16x) can be forced for this game in the graphics adapter settings (NVIDIA or AMD Catalyst Control Panel).
- Natively available.
Anti-aliasing can be enabled in-game thanks to the current update which was released on Steam September 7th, 2012.
Nvidia, has no profile for Darksiders 2, and the Darksiders 1 profile causes severe graphics glitches if you attempt to use it.
Until a new driver is released with an updated profile, expect issues when attempting to force anti-aliasing apart from FXAA (which is fast and works fine for this game, but is arguably inferior to MSAA, CSAA...) and SSAA. Remember that the performance costs of SSAA are very high.For the time being it might be a good idea to only use FXAA or look toward using a higher quality injector that bypasses the driver "hacks" that allow AA to function via the control panel, e.g. SMAA Injector, if you are an nVidia user.
Borderless fullscreen windowed
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||No option to disable mouse acceleration.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
- The key bindings menu can be found via the inventory menu (press O, then navigate to the Move List menu)
- Some keyboard keys cannot be mapped to game commands, like Delete, or num_del, Insert keys. Also, Arrow keys, END, HOME, PGUP, PGDN, etc. are displayed as "UNKNOWN KEY" then setting it again displays as NUMPAD keys. Does not seem too bad, but UNKNOWN KEY can only be bound once. Arrows are functional still after this binding as NUM keys, but you cannot bind any NUMPAD keys as it is seen as already bound. "I" is hardbound to PAUSE, so that is also not "remappable".
- If a key is already bound, you have to remap the action using that key before you can use it. This sends you on a goose chase if you need to remap the majority of the keys.
- Each time you set a key your entire page scrolls back to the very top so you need to scroll all the way back down again (using your w,s,UP,DWN keys that require constant pressing as holding does not scroll, and cannot use the mouse scrollwheel) to get back to the section you were configuring.
- E is hard-coded into the game and cannot be bound to certain actions (e.g. Move Horse Forward)
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Caused by uncapped frame rate.
Enable vsyncEnable vsync in the video options.
Enable vsync and borderless windowed fullscreen mode
Use the Skyrim Stuttering fixIf all else fails, copy the files from the Skyrim Stuttering fix into the Darksiders II installation folder.
Use a frame limiter programThe issue can also be fixed by enabling vsync (and preferably triple buffering) and using a frame limiter.
High System Temperatures
- Caused by uncapped frame rate.
Use D3DOverriderRefer to D3DOverrider to force vsync to limit frame rate and temperatures.
Stuck after start game
- Caused by slowdown in internet connection as game checks for THQ account.
Wait For THQ Authentication
3D Vision effects not rendering correctly
- Using 3D Vision in the game is subpar to what it could be, with effects and shadows not rendering at the correct depth.
Use Helix ModUse the Helix mod to improve the 3D effects in the game. Helix Mod WebPage
Using an Xbox 360 controller, only items from the first 3 rows can be sacrificed to upgrade a possessed weapon
Using a 360 controller, only items from the first 3 rows can be sacrificed to upgrade a possessed weaponThis was initially a problem at launch, but fixed in later patches
No dialogue voices or subtitles
Region locked copies may lack voices and subtitles, when language is changed to anything other than language native for their region.
Change language in Steam
Change game location
Freezing while exiting pause or inventory screens
If you are using a NVIDIA GPU, go to the NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D-settings (I think, mine is in Norwegian so I translated directly) -> Software settings tab -> Press the "Add" button and find Darksiders II -> When configuring the settings for Darksiders II in the control panel, scroll down to the Vertical Sync settings and set it to "Adaptive".
This should fix the problem.
This fix _can_ cause stuttering, and if that happens you can use this fix:
antilag.cfg into the installation folder.
Using the phasewalker at the first portal after Lilith gives it to you to reach Samael
Disable the DLC and it will work. There is a bug .
Karkinos Does Not React To Eggs Thrown (Thus UNBEATABLE)
The only known "solution" is to get closer before you throw the egg at the soft part. It may be difficult but seems to be the only way to circumvent the problem. die twice is another way
Alt+Tab will often result in crashing the game
When getting the Redemption, you can't use it because it didn't load itself. ( You can hear the 'klak' voice but nothing happened!)
- A common, unresolved issue.
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista SP1, 7||7|
|Processor (CPU)|| Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
AMD Athlon X2 2.0 GHz
|Any Quad-core AMD or Intel Processor|
|System memory (RAM)|| |
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
20 GB (10 GB after install)
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
Shader model 3.0 support
| Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 |
1 GB of VRAM
DirectX 11 compatible
Shader model 4.0 support
- 'Not the right time' for Red Faction: Guerrilla 2; Darksiders 2 coming to Mac, Linux
- "Games That Run Above 60FPS" - 120Hz.net Forums
- Tested by Suicide machine - Polish works without problems, but when changed to English - game lacks both subtitles and voices.