Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
| Release dates
September 30, 1999
|Age of Empires||1997|
|Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome|
|Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings||1999|
|Age of Empires II: The Conquerors|
|Age of Mythology||2002|
|Age of Mythology: The Titans|
|The Golden Gift|
|Age of Empires III||2005|
|Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs|
|Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties|
|Age of Empires Online||2011|
|Age of Empires II HD||2013|
|Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten|
|Age of Mythology: Extended Edition||2014|
- A HD re-release of the game with updated graphics and Steam matchmaking is currently available.
- UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update adds support for widescreen/multi-monitor resolutions.
- Age of Empires II Official Microsoft Site (archived)
- Age of Empires Wiki Wikia for the entire series
- Age of Kings Heaven Community Site and Map Archive
- AoCZone Community Site for competitive gaming
- /r/aoe2 Age of Empires 2 Subreddit
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues unresolved
- 8 Issues fixed
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
- The "Age of Empires Collector's Editon" can often be found on store shelves. It is the most cost effective way of acquiring the game, as it contains the following games on a single DVD-ROM:
- NoCD version, DVD only necessary for installation.
- All games are already fully patched.
- However, it should be noted that the DVD re-release of these games does not feature the Red Book audio stored as separate audio tracks on the original games' discs. As such, the game music will not be played while the DVD is in the drive.
Patch 2.0a (The Age of Kings)
The latest patch for the base game is Version 2.0a.
Patch 1.0c (The Conquerors)
The latest patch for The Conquerors is Version 1.0c.
Unofficial Patch 1.0e (The Conquerors)
The unofficial patch for Conquerors, which includes NoCD is Version 1.0e.
UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update
The unofficial UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update patch for The Conquerors adds many fixes including widescreen support, UPnP port forwarding, and various optional tweaks. Although it doesn't include a NoCD, it will not remove a valid NoCD. If it is installed on top of Version 1.0e, no CD is required.
Age of Empires II: Forgotten Empires
Age of Empires II: Forgotten Empires is an unofficial expansion which adds new civilizations, maps and other fixes.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
- Player settings are saved in
<path-to-game>\Player.nfp(determines unlocked scenarios etc.)
- Custom campaigns are saved in
- Custom scenarios are saved in
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|High frame rate|
Install UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update then set your resolution in-game. Your chosen resolution is used during gameplay; menus are letterboxed 4:3.
Install UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update then set your resolution in-game. Your chosen resolution is used during gameplay; menus are letterboxed 4:3. The main game interface is shown on the far left.
Install UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update and select Windowed mode support, then set your resolution in-game. Your chosen resolution is used during gameplay; menus are windowed 4:3.
Install UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update and select Windowed mode support, then set the in-game resolution to the same as your desktop resolution. Your chosen resolution is used during gameplay; menus are windowed 4:3.
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
Dell laptop compatibility issues
On some older Dell laptop models (e.g. the M1530) an issue occurs where the OS crashes and a blue-screen of death is displayed. This issue occurs after a seemingly random amount of gameplay time (from <30 seconds to 10 or 20 minutes). Many things have been tried to fix the issue including changing graphics card drivers, limiting the frame rate to mitigate overheating and running on virtual machines of different OSs (e.g. windows 98). As far as can be seen, this issue has never been resolved nor will it be, rendering AoE2 unplayable on the affected models of laptop. This issue can be mitigated by playing through Voobly.com game client and selecting 32-bit DirectX mode in the lobby options. It is actually caused by an unterminated loop in the graphic card driver. However, Age of Empires II HD (the re-mastered version of the game released in 2013) is unaffected by this problem.
Windows Vista and 7 colours
See Also: Color Fixes For Older Games
Windows Vista and 7 (NT 6.0 and 6.1) can have issues with displaying true colours in Age of Empires II correctly. This is because the game uses an outdated and no longer supported palette-based drawing method. Note that this doesn't apply to Windows 8 and newer, which now uses software palette conversion from 8-bit to 32-bit (though often resulting in performance penalties in various other games due to the poor implementation). There are currently several methods available to resolve this issue.
UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update • LinkInstall UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update. This includes a color fix for Vista and 7, and will also set a registry flag, allowing Windows 8+ to emulate the 256-colour modes, required by the game. It will also optionally provide support for loading the windowed mode plugin, which, apart from its direct purpose, also performs software palette conversion to 32-bit, resolving said issues.
DirectDrawFix • LinkUse DirectDrawFix to apply the required compatibility fixes to the registry. The user account installing this fix must have admin privileges for the application to perform its updates.
LAN connectivity with Windows Vista/7/8
Setting the IP address to Static and the Default Gateway to nothing • Link
- A much simpler method is to install GameRanger or Voobly and use it for lobbying (thus making all of the above obsolete).
Copy files from demo version • Link
- The “-midimusic” parameter is no longer supported in UserPatch, however its m3u playlist system allows any audio format to be used for in-game music, including wav, mp3, wma, aac, and flac, as long as the required DirectShow codecs are installed.
|Operating system (OS)||95||98|
|Processor (CPU)||166 MHz||450 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||32 MB||64 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||300 MB||300 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| SuperVGA
2 MB of VRAM
| Nvidia TNT2 or Rage 128 |
16 MB of VRAM