Tomb Raider (2013)
| Release dates
March 5, 2013
January 23, 2014
|Tomb Raider II||1997|
|Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft||1998|
|Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation||1999|
|Tomb Raider Chronicles||2000|
|Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness||2003|
|Tomb Raider: Legend||2006|
|Tomb Raider: Anniversary||2007|
|Tomb Raider: Underworld||2008|
|Tomb Raider (2013)||2013|
This page is for the 2013 reboot. For the original, see Tomb Raider.
- PC port features high resolution textures, tessellation, high quality shadows and more PC-specific features.
- Forcing DirectX 9 mode results in an approximately 25% performance boost at a small loss of visual fidelity.
- Many quick time events (QTEs) do not display the key required to complete them. See QTE streamlining for a guide.
- Multiplayer is not cross-platform between Windows and OS X.
- Official game site
- Official Forums - not PC-specific.
- Lara Croft Wiki - A detailed wiki for the Tomb Raider series
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Issues unresolved
- 7 Audio settings
- 8 Network
- 9 Issues fixed
- 10 Other information
- 11 System requirements
- 12 References
|Green Man Gaming|
|Mac App Store|
- All Windows versions require Steam.
- The GOTY Edition does not include the Survival Edition non-game extras.
- The GOTY Edition does not include the following DLC: Agility Skill, Animal Instinct, Headshot Reticule, Pistol Burst, Pistol Silencer. These upgrades can be unlocked during gameplay without buying the DLC.
- Japanese language support is only available in Japan and requires a separate purchase or the Japan Tomb Raider GOTY Edition.
- The Mac App Store version does not include multiplayer.
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
|Japanese Language Pack||Only available in Japan. Windows only.|
|Tomb of the Lost Adventurer|
|Shipwrecked Multiplayer Map Pack|
|Caves and Cliffs Multiplayer Map Pack|
|1939 Multiplayer Map Pack|
|STG 58 Elite|
|Animal Instinct||Can be unlocked through normal gameplay without having this DLC (DLC unlocks it immediately).|
|Headshot Reticule||Can be unlocked through normal gameplay without having this DLC (DLC unlocks it immediately).|
|Agency SPS 12|
|Agility Skill||Can be unlocked through normal gameplay without having this DLC (DLC unlocks it immediately).|
|Pistol Burst||Can be unlocked through normal gameplay without having this DLC (DLC unlocks it immediately).|
|Pistol Silencer||Can be unlocked through normal gameplay without having this DLC (DLC unlocks it immediately).|
Performance boost for slow processors and in some areas of the game
- This fix can cause severe corruption and crashes on Nvidia hardware.
- For additional performance tweaks see Low frame rate section.
Enabling MultiCoreFlushMode in registry
Skip game launcher
Skip game launcher
Configuration file location
|Windows||HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider\|
|OS X||~/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/Tomb Raider/|
- Most graphics settings in the registry corresponds with .ini options for benchmark.
Save game data location
|Multi-monitor||All HUD elements are correctly drawn on the center screen. Some in-game cutscenes display odd animations or missing models in areas that aren't visible in 16:9.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||Possible using custom resolutions; see Field of view (FOV).|
|Windowed||For borderless uncheck "exclusive fullscreen".|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||For borderless uncheck "exclusive fullscreen".|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||FXAA and up to 4x SSAA.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Double and tripled buffered.|
|High frame rate|
- FoV is calculated from aspect ratio, therefore running the game at a custom resolution will result in a custom FoV.
- Nvidia information is hypothetical at this point.
Notes about this fix
- This way of altering the field of view will allow the player to regain some sense of peripheral vision, without altering the ratio between character height and image height. This preserves to some extent the original intention underlying the frame composition.
- There is no distortion of the picture.
- The image will effectively be cropped (Vert-). Black bars will appear at the top and bottom of the screen.
- Having to change the desktop resolution each time is not convenient.
Set custom resolution
Force DirectX 9 renderer on DirectX 11 systems
- Forcing DirectX 9 will result in better performance. However DirectX 11 specific features (tessellation, TressFX) will be disabled.
Performance difference between DirectX 9 and 11 renderer
Based on ingame benchmark with DirectX 11 features (tessellation, TressFX) disabled for both renderers.
|DirectX 9||DirectX 11||Difference [%]|
Tested on Intel i7 with HD6870 GPU, average of five measurements for each renderer.
Strange graphics as screen is like a broken glass may appear at certain points during the game
Change a Graphics options value
- This fix must be done each time the problem appear
- Enter Graphics options and change high precision to another value, no matter what. Just change it. Apply changes.
Note: You can set it back to its previous value again and apply again, without re-triggering the bug. }}
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support||Supports Xbox 360 and other XInput-compatible controllers. In-game tutorials and QTE icons will change automatically to reflect keyboard/controller usage.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||also x-axis; both independently for camera and aiming|
Separate vertical and horizontal sensitivity with mouse
Vertical and horizontal sensitivity do not match, with vertical being much lower, making it hard to aim with a mouse and keyboard.
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.1 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Japanese||Requires Japanese Language Pack DLC. Windows only.|
Low frame rate
Low frame rate fix
There are several performance demanding options that can be disabled. Get a significant FPS boost by:
Flickering and crashing with SLI or CrossFire
Crashing to desktop and issues with minimizing game
Crashing to desktop fix
Static noise from music and ambient sound in the game
Sound issues fix
- Tomb Raider is heavy on quick time events (QTEs), which can be sometimes annoying.
- QTEs in Tomb Raider does not display key name but rather monochrome icon associated with specific binding or QTE, which can be confusing and problematic to solve.
- However, if you are actively using an Xbox 360 controller or other XInput-compatible controller, the game will display controller button names and colors as normal.
List of QTEs and possible solutions:
|Hand in red circle||Repeatedly press interact key (default E) as fast as possible.|
|Exclamation mark in red diamond.||Press melee key (default F).|
|White circle getting smaller||Tap repeatedly melee key (default F). This QTE is bugged - circle animation is out of sync with trigger behind QTE and therefore it is difficult win this QTE normally. Luckily there is no penalization for missing said trigger with key press so pressing melee key for whole duration of QTE works perfectly.|
|Left and right arrow||Alternately press left and right movement keys (default A and D).|
|Hand in red circle when Lara is hanging from ledge||Press interact key (default E).|
Bypass mashing keys
1. Open you macro/gaming software and create new macro.
2. Record single key press and make sure there are delays between action at least 20ms. It should look something like this for E key:
Key E down 20ms delay Key E up 20ms delay
3. Set this macro to your desired key and set option to "repeat macro as long as pressed".
- Benchmark mode generates a file named:
benchmarkresults yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss.txt
Benchmark from menuBenchmark in game options.
Benchmark from Steam
Benchmark via shortcut
Command line parameters
|Command line parameter||Type of benchmark|
|-benchmark||Run the benchmark on startup and quit the game when finished.|
|-benchmarkini “filename.ini”||Run the benchmark on startup and quit the game when finished. The ini file contains overrides for quality settings.|
|-loop||Loop the benchmark instead of quitting after it completes. This is a demo mode, so statistics are disabled.|
|-dxdiag||Include dxdiag information in the benchmarkresults file.|
- When running from the command line, exclusive fullscreen is automatically switched on and vsync is switched off.
- When running as a looping demo, a result file is not generated.
.ini file options
|QualityLevel||0 to 4||Sets all settings to a quality level. 0 for Low, 4 for Ultimate.|
|Fullscreen||0 or 1||Enables or disables fullscreen.|
|ExclusiveFullscreen||0 or 1||Enable this when fullscreen is enabled for better performance but worse multitasking.|
|AspectRatio||Width / height x 10000 or 0||Sets aspect ratio. 16000 for 16:10 for example.|
|VSyncMode||0 - 2||Options for vertical synchronization. 0 for Off, 1 for Double Buffer and 2 for Triple Buffer.|
|FullscreenWidth||number||Width of resolution in pixels.|
|FullscreenHeight||number||Height of resolution in pixels.|
|FullscreenRefreshRate||number||Screen refresh rate in Hz.|
|StereoEnabled||0 or 1||Enables or disables stereoscopic support.|
|TextureQuality||1 to 4||Texture quality from Low to Ultra.|
|BestTextureFilter||0 to 18||Texture filtering - 0 for No Filtering, 1 for Bilinear, 2 for Trilinear, or 2 + the Anisotropic level.|
|HairQuality||0 or 1||Enables TressFX enhanced hair quality. 0 for Normal or 1 for TressFX.|
|AntiAliasingMode||0 to 3||Sets anti-aliasing level. 0 for none, 1 for FXAA, 2 for 2xSSAA and 3 for 4xSSAA.|
|ShadowMode||0 or 1||Enables or disables shadows.|
|ShadowResolution||0 to 2||Sets shadow resolution. 1 for Off, 2 for Normal and 3 for Ultra.|
|SSAOMode||0 to 2||Sets ambient occlusion quality. 1 for Off, 2 for Normal and 3 for Ultra.|
|DOFQuality||0 to 3||Sets depth of field quality. 1 for Off, 2 for Normal and 3 for Ultra.|
|ReflectionQuality||0 to 2||Sets quality of reflections. 1 for Off, 2 for Normal and 3 for High.|
|LODBias||0 to 4||Sets level of detail bias from Low to Ultra.|
|EnablePostProcess||0 or 1||Enables or disables post-processing effects.|
|EnableHighPrecisionRT||0 or 1||-|
|EnableTessellation||0 or 1||Enables or disables tessellation.|
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8||Vista, 7, 8|
|Processor (CPU)|| Dual core CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.1 GHz (4050+)
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz (E6300)
|Quad core CPU, AMD Phenom II X2 565, Intel Core i5-750|
|System memory (RAM)|| 1 GB
2 GB (Vista)
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT
512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9 compatible
| AMD Radeon HD 5870 |
nVidia GTX 480
1 GB of VRAM
DirectX 11 compatible
|Operating system (OS)|| |
|Processor (CPU)||2.0 GHz||2.4 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)|| |
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)||512 MB of VRAM||1 GB of VRAM|
- Tomb Raider PC features, system requirements revealed - Shack News
- MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - Widely Acclaimed Tomb Raider Reboot Arrives in Mac App Store
- Feral Support | Tomb Raider FAQs | What is included in the Single Player DLC Pack (Mac App Store)?
- Which DLCs are unlockable through normal gameplay? :: Tomb Raider General Discussions
- A survivor is born: Tomb Raider coming to Mac on January 23rd! | Feral News
- Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread - NeoGAF
- Launch Tomb Raider directly and skip launcher - Steam Community Discussions for Tomb Raider
- Tested by LDK March 5, 2013.
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Tomb Raider Video Card Performance and IQ Review - HARDOCP
- Tomb Raider broken on PC - GameTrailers Forums
- Technical FAQ - Written and produced by EscondeR - Tomb Raider Hub