| Release dates
April 26, 2005
September 29, 2011
May 31, 2012
- Official website
- Double Fine Action Forums - Psychonauts
- GOG.com Community Discussions
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums
- Unofficial wiki
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Issues unresolved
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
|Mac App Store|
|Ubuntu Software Center|
Configuration file(s) location
|OS X||~/Library/Application Support/Psychonauts/|
AudioSettings.inistores audio settings.
DisplaySettings.inistores video settings.
- This game supports the XDG Base Directory Specification on Linux.
Save game data location
|OS X||~/Library/Application Support/Psychonauts/Profiles/|
|Widescreen resolution||Wide resolutions result in a stretched 4:3 menu, but the game itself is displayed 16:9.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Possible using Borderless Windowed utility.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Force in the graphics card control panel.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
- Menu option exists, but can also be changed in the DisplaySettings.ini file.
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See Controller support.|
|Full controller support||Does not work in options menu.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
- An Xbox 360 Controller is recommended. On all OS X and Linux versions of the game, as well as up-to-date Windows versions, the Xbox 360 Controller works out of the box.
- (Windows only) Mouse camera control is disabled if a gamepad is plugged in.
- Instructional tooltips remain as if using a keyboard and mouse when using the controller.
Modify tooltips for Xbox 360 pad • Link
PsychoPad Patch can be used to add Xbox 360 controller button images, menus and tooltips to game. Requires v1.05 patch or Steam version. Make sure you scan the whole post for the latest version of the patch - v1.1 as of 7/25/2013.Alternative: use a modified ini file as explained here.
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost||Game pauses on focus lost.|
|EAX support|| Change |
Smart Camera option does not work
The smart (automatic) camera stays on, even if you disable it in the game options or through the game's configuration files.
Linux version differences
- Mouse movement in this game feels entirely different from Windows (no zigzags, smoother.)
Corrupt Game Profile
If, when you open Psychonauts, you are presented with the following error message:
Error (null), line -1 Crash: 0xc0000005 If you have VS.NET installed, you can try to attach the debugger Otherwise, click OK
then you may have a corrupted/damaged game profile.
To fix the error message and allow the game to load:
- Remove or Cut-Paste away the profile in question (most probably the one used most recently) under "Psychonauts\Profiles\Profile #"
- Start the game and create a new profile.
To possibly recover a saved game:
- In step 2 above, ensure that you have created a profile that has exactly the same name as the one from which you want to recover saves. I do not know if this is necessary, but it follows my method.
- Copy/Paste all savegames from the lost profile to this new profile. HOPE that the game can read some of the data. If you still don't see savegames, or the test profile shows as damaged, systematically start with SavedGame0 and work through isolating each one to see if you can get data from any one of them while in the game. (IE: use only SavedGame0 from the old profile in the new profile, then ONLY SavedGame1, then ONLY SavedGame2, etc., then combinations, to recover as much data as possible).
- Play. I got my autosave back and my first save (I had several saves after it, but it seems they are gone). I hope you have at least that much success!
- Reconfigure yourself (or copy the .ini, but this is not tested).
Changing Swing Direction
When swinging from a bar the 'F' key is used to change swing direction (Y on the controller).
Thermometer Bar in Wrong Location
When using widescreen resolutions, occasionally the 'thermometer' bar for pyrokinesis will be displayed at the outer-edge of the screen rather than near the targeted object/creature. There are no known fixes to this bug.
Graphics Error Preventing Startup
Error: "The game was unable to find a 32bpp display mode supported by your system in which to run. Your video card and monitor must minimally support 640x480x32bpp."
Solution: Create a file called "DisplaySettings.ini" in the installation folder. Insert the following into said file:
[DisplaySettings] ScreenWidth=1080 ScreenHeight=1920 FullScreen=true VSync=true FSAA=true FSFX=true AdvancedShading=true Shadows=true GammaCorrection=1.000000
ScreenHeight are your desired resolution.
Crashes on Cut-scene
Activate compatibility mode for Windows 95. On Steam, this can be done by right clicking the game in your library, going to properties then "browse local files" and checking the properties of Psychoanuts.exe. In Windows 8.1, Windows 7 compatibility mode stopped the game black screening for me every time I tried to start the game up.
|Operating system (OS)||98 SE||2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||1.0 GHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon||2.0 GHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon|
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| GeForce 3
64 MB of VRAM
| GeForce 5600 |
128 MB of VRAM
|Operating system (OS)|| |
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core Duo||Intel Core i Series|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI X1600
128 MB of VRAM
| ATI HD 3870 |
512 MB of VRAM
|Operating system (OS)|
|Processor (CPU)||2.0 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||4 GB|
|Video card (GPU)||128 MB of VRAM|