|Developer(s)||Sony Online Entertainment|
|First release date||November 20, 2012|
- Offers a strong level of graphical customisation.
- Regularly updated and to be officially supported until 2025.
- Players are reporting extremely poor CPU optimization . A response by the development team acknowledges these claims .
- EU players are unable to use the Steam version.
- Official website
- Official forum
- PlanetSide 2 Wiki - a good place to get gameplay-related information.
|Steam||Steam version does not work in the EU.|
- The game is available for free on all of the platforms above.
 Game data
 Game folder location
 Save game location and cloud syncing
- Player level and unlocks are automatically synced and stored in the cloud.
- This does not include bindings and video settings, which are stored locally (and often reset during game updates).
 Video settings
|Multi-monitor||Uses default monitor as defined by Windows.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Set with Display Mode in Settings, Graphics.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Cannot be disabled.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Cannot be disabled.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
 Field of view (FOV)
- Options menu features an FoV slider with values of 55 up to 74.
- The adjustable Field of view (FOV) setting in this game is vertical FoV (like in Battlefield: Bad Company 2) rather than horizontal FoV like in most other games.
- Vertical field of view calculator http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php
- FoV can be tweaked to values higher than in-game maximum or lower than the in-game minimum.
Tweaking field of view • Link
1) Navigate to the game's main folder.
2) Edit the file UserOptions.ini using Notepad.
3) Navigate to the entry
- Horizontal FoV is fixed at 80 inside vehicles and limited to 110 when on foot. This presents a significant problem for multi-monitor setups, even with a low vertical FoV set in the game.
- This can be remedied with a tool called PS2FOV.
Fix for limited horizontal Field of View • Link
1) Download PS2FOV from WSGF.org
2) Run it at the same time as Planetside 23) Horizontal FOV will be unlocked and adjusted automatically for any resolution/FoV and you can manually set your required Horizontal FoV for vehicles between 80 and 150 degrees
 Enabling "Ultra High" Graphics
To use these, locate the UserOptions.ini file in your PlanetSide 2 folder. (If you downloaded it through Steam, for example, it will be found under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2). Open the file in Notepad, and modify the following values under [Rendering].
Note that giving value of 4 or 5 on other graphic commands does nothing and may even lower the graphics since the game doesn't recognize the values; therefore, it will default it back to 1. More information about the commands can be found here. 
"Ultra High" Graphics • Link
 Enabling PhysX
To enable PhysX, you currently need a Nvidia Graphics Card capable of PhysX on the latest Beta Drivers located at Geforce.com.
If you meet the requirements, locate the UserOptions.ini file in your PlanetSide 2 folder. (If you downloaded it through Steam, for example, it will be found under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2). Open the file in Notepad, and add the following lines to the bottom of the [Rendering] list.
Enabling PhysX • Link
 Input settings
- Input options only configurable after entering a server.
 Input devices
 Logitech 3D Pro POV pad
If you only use the ingame key bindings, the pad will just stop working after a few seconds. In order to use the POV pad of the joystick for the cockpit view, follow these steps
Description • Link
1) Setup a new profile for Planetside 2 (use the LaunchPad.exe - not PlanetSide2.exe)
2) Under Options -> Global Profiler Settings, select "Apply persistent profile" and choose your Planetside2 profile in the combo box
3) For your POV pad, create a new assignment (click POV in the overview, then "Select Assignment" -> "New POV Assignment")
4) Use the Edit button to record 4 different keystrokes (in my case I created 4 keystroke assignments for the 4 arrow keys)
5) Assign those keystrokes to the POV pad directions "N", "W", "E" and "S"
6) Check "FPS Style Movement" (otherwise you can only look into one direction instead of smooth movements)
7) Make sure your new POV assignment is selected
 Issues unresolved
 Cannot use Steam version in the EU
- It is currently impossible to use the Steam version with an EU account, unless the player's account dates from the Beta testing period.
- EU players must download the ProSiebenSat.1 Games launcher from the European Planetside 2 website.
- This is because the Steam launcher requires a US-based or Beta account.
 All ground and units dissapear
- Often during morning and midday, all foreground objects disappear. This includes the units, world and building. Icons remain and the map etc. stays available. This bug fixes itself after about 30 seconds.
 Issues fixed
 Cannot install game (Steam)
Fixing error: "An Error occured while installing Planetside 2 (No Subscription)" • Link
1) Exit Steam (right click tray icon > Exit).
2) Start Steam.3) Install PlanetSide 2 from its Steam page.
 Planetside2.exe has stopped working
Fixing error: "Planetside2.exe has stopped working (Windows 32-bit)" • Link
Fixing error: PlanetSide2.exe has stopped working (Windows 8) • Link
Install the latest DirectX End-User Runtimes, then restart the PlanetSide 2 Launcher. If you still get the same error, do the following:
Fixing error: "Planetside2.exe has stopped working" (Steam) • Link
 Fixing Low Frame Rate (FPS)
Fixing Low Frame Rate (FPS) • Link
During the alpha stage, Planetside 2 featured special particle effects powered by PhysX.  These effects were removed prior to the official launch, but an option to disable PhysX was not available in the settings menu. The following fix forces PhysX off. This won't solve having a low-end machine, but will improve framerate by 20% to 40% in most cases.
 Other information
Use of SweetFX is officially listed as a banned client modification.
 System requirements
|Operating system (OS)||Windows XP||Windows 7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 / AMD Phenom II X2||Intel i5 / AMD Phenom II X6 or superior|
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB||6 GB|
|Video card (GPU)||NVIDIA GeForce 8600 / AMD Radeon HD4850||NVIDIA GeForce 660 / AMD HD6870 or superior|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||15 GB||15 GB|
- ↑ http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/30/planetside-2-soe-details-its-3-year-plan-wants-to-run-until-2025-if-possible/
- ↑ http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/ps2-fps-between-1-10-with-recommended-hardware.80469/
- ↑ http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3029182
- ↑ http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/20-fps-with-more-than-enough-to-handle-the-game.77487/
- ↑ http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/quick-note-on-optimization.49152/
- ↑ https://pay.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/18o859/useroptions_explained/
- ↑ http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/using-logitech-3d-pro-pov-for-cockpit-freelook.77542/
- ↑ http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/eu-prosieben-steam-login-issues.47504/
- ↑ http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.394309-PlanetSide-2-completely-botches-the-EU-release
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJlTUgZTT8
- ↑ http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/15kw8c/a_quick_fps_fix_to_try/
- ↑ http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/with-regard-to-client-modifications-announcement.55674/#post-692380