| Release dates
November 20, 2012
- Offers a strong level of graphical customisation.
- Regularly updated and to be officially supported until 2025.
- Players are reporting extremely poor CPU optimization. A response by the development team acknowledges these claims. The developers temporarily stopped working on content and focused entirely on optimization. The first patch of 3 to improve optimization was released recently. Reports from players vary from very little improvement up to an increase of 50%.
- Official website
- Official forum
- PlanetSide 2 Wiki - a good place to get gameplay-related information.
- Steam Community Discussions
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Network
- 7 Issues unresolved
- 8 Issues fixed
- 9 Other information
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|Steam||Steam version does not work with ProSieben Sat.1 accounts; migrate at PlanetSide 2 EU.|
- All versions require a Station Account.
- ProSiebenSat.1 accounts are no longer supported as of September 29, 2014.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||<path-to-game>/UserOptions.ini and InputProfile_User.xml|
|Multi-monitor||Position affects gameplay. Uses default monitor as defined by Windows.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Set with Display Mode in Settings, Graphics.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Cannot be disabled.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Cannot be disabled.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate|
|Color blind mode||Allows for "Empire Coloring" and "Squad Coloring" to more easily distinguish between each team. Some elements of the game may still cause trouble for color blind users.|
- Options menu features an FoV slider with values of 55 up to 74.
- The adjustable Field of view (FOV) setting in this game is vertical FoV (like in Battlefield: Bad Company 2) rather than horizontal FoV like in most other games.
- Vertical field of view calculator http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php
- FoV can be tweaked to values higher than in-game maximum or lower than the in-game minimum.
Tweaking field of view
- Horizontal FoV is fixed at 80 inside vehicles and limited to 110 when on foot. This presents a significant problem for multi-monitor setups, even with a low vertical FoV set in the game.
- This can be remedied with a tool called PS2FOV.
Fix for limited horizontal Field of View
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||Separate options for "vertical look" and "vertical fly"|
|Controller support||Users with the Logitech 3D Pro POV pad may have issues, see Logitech 3D Pro POV pad for more information.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
Logitech 3D Pro POV pad
If you only use the ingame key bindings, the pad will just stop working after a few seconds. In order to use the POV pad of the joystick for the cockpit view, follow these steps
Use the Logitech profiler
|Separate volume controls||Settings for music, sfx, dialog and voip.|
|Subtitles||Automatically shown in the tutorial, not shown for ingame callouts.|
|Mute on focus lost|
All ground and units disappear
- Often during morning and midday, all foreground objects disappear. This includes the units, world and building. Icons remain and the map etc. stays available. This bug fixes itself after about 30 seconds.
Cannot install game (Steam)
Fixing error: "An Error occured while installing Planetside 2 (No Subscription)"
Planetside2.exe has stopped working
Fixing error: "Planetside2.exe has stopped working (Windows 32-bit)"
Fixing error: PlanetSide2.exe has stopped working (Windows 8)
Install the latest DirectX End-User Runtimes, then restart the PlanetSide 2 Launcher. If you still get the same error, do the following:
Fixing error: "Planetside2.exe has stopped working" (Steam)
Low frame rate
Fixing Low Frame Rate (FPS)
During the alpha stage, Planetside 2 featured special particle effects powered by PhysX. These effects were removed prior to the official launch, but an option to disable PhysX was not available in the settings menu. The following fix forces PhysX off. This won't solve having a low-end machine, but will improve frame rate by 20% to 40% in most cases.
Fixing Low Frame Rate (FPS) Second method
Theres a way to tweak render limits to even lower sizes than 500. If you play as infantry 300 is still playable and is a lot faster.
Game download starts over after ProSiebenSat.1 account migration
Use of SweetFX is officially listed as a banned client modification.
|Operating system (OS)||XP||7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 / AMD Phenom II X2||Intel i5 / AMD Phenom II X6 or superior|
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB||6 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)||NVIDIA GeForce 8600 / AMD Radeon HD4850||NVIDIA GeForce 660 / AMD HD6870 or superior|
- Smed's Blog - Planetside 2
- SOE/PSG: Important FAQ for upcoming player migration from PSG to SOE! | Official SOE Forums
- Prosieben Customers: You will not have to download the new client, you can modify your current client, delete this line in Launchpad.ini once you are a SOE account : Planetside