Max Payne 3
| Release dates
June 1, 2012
June 20, 2013
|Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne||2003|
|Max Payne 3||2012|
- The ambient occlusion setting should be set to SSAO, due to the way it performs.
- The PC version features high resolution textures, high quality shadows, tessellation and more PC-specific features while also being fairly well optimized.
- Max Payne 3 requires the Rockstar Games Social Club DRM to be installed in order to fully activate the game, along with all it's DLCs separately, it also uses a fairly restrictive DRM called GameShield IronWrap.
- The OS X version also suffers from multiple issues, one being the complete lack of multiplayer, due to the GameSpy services being shut down.
- Unnecessarily forced, long loading times during most cutscenes.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Network
- 7 Issues fixed
- 7.1 Nothing happens at "Initializing" screen
- 7.2 Unable to sign into Rockstar Games Social Club
- 7.3 Game will not launch
- 7.4 Negative mouse acceleration and frame dependent mouse sensitivity
- 7.5 Game goes to pause menu randomly
- 7.6 Error code 1641 on launch
- 7.7 Game crashes with StackHash_XXX Error
- 7.8 ERR_OS_VISTA
- 7.9 Graphics settings not saving
- 7.10 Steam version product key activation error
- 7.11 Requires Service Pack 1
- 7.12 Asus software
- 7.13 Game freeze during startup
- 8 Other information
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Retail||Does not unlock a digital download.|
|Steam||DLC is loaded through the Rockstar Games Social Club account.|
- All versions require Rockstar Games Social Club for activation and online features.
- All versions use GameShield IronWrap DRM. Rockstar have not disclosed details of how many machine activations are allowed nor any other restrictions.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3|
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3\Profiles|
- Rockstar's Social Club supports save game cloud syncing.
|Widescreen resolution||16:9; other aspect ratios are letterboxed.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Windowed|| Can also use the |
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Windowed Borderless Gaming.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Low to Very High FXAA and 2x, 4x or 8x MSAA options.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
- Max Payne 3 supports 3D on Nvidia cards.
Change AspectRatio to 5:2
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Music, SFX|
|Surround sound||Up to 5.1 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Ukrainian||An Ukrainian fan patch is available here|
- Most languages can be forced by using
-language Language. For Brazilian Portuguese use
-language Portuguese. See Command line arguments.
|Online play||OS X multiplayer no longer works.|
Nothing happens at "Initializing" screen
The game must be installed under C:/ProgramFilesx86/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Max Payne 3 in order for Social Club to load, which is required to play the game. If the game was installed to a custom steam folder, copy (not move) it to the default ProgramFilesx86 folder, then have Steam uninstall the game, then reinstall it to the default location. Steam will detect the existing files and fix the installation, and the game will proceed properly. If the problem is not solved:
- Ensure the MaxPayne3.exe does NOT have compatibility or Admin rights settings applied.
- Use the -scdetectproxy steam launch option.
- Delete the Social Club install folder. (Do not use the uninstaller.) Install an earlier version of Rockstar Games Social Club such as v220.127.116.11. Run the game and it will tell you to update the Social Club program. Run the installer from Max Payne 3's MP3Installers folder.
Unable to sign into Rockstar Games Social Club
Game will not launch
- The game will not launch for many users.
Change to DirectX 9
This can be fixed by going into safe mode, and changing the game to DirectX 9.
Negative mouse acceleration and frame dependent mouse sensitivity
- Even after the patch which introduced a mouse acceleration toggle, some players experience negative mouse acceleration as well as framerate dependent sensitivities.
- There are currently no true fixes for the negative mouse acceleration.
Reduce graphics settingsTurning off FXAA, MSAA, and vsync may help to make negative mouse acceleration tolerable.
This error is usually caused by having an Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter plugged into USB.
Remove Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter
Error code 1641 on launch
Game crashes with StackHash_XXX Error
Fix Data Execution Prevention settingEnsure Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is set to the default (Windows programs and services only).
- This error message can be caused on the Steam version of the game when Steam is forced by the OS into compatibility mode.
Graphics settings not saving
- Game may report that video memory is 0/0. This may be caused by older graphics drivers which need updating.
Edit graphics.xmlOne fix is to edit
Steam version product key activation error
Move installation folder
For the error message "no activations remaining for this activation key" or "cannot contact activation server  when trying to activate the game over socialclub.
Requires Service Pack 1
- The game may show the error message 'Requires Service Pack 1 or superior'.
Requires Service Pack 1
- Asus software 'Smart Doctor' or 'Asus Gamer' may cause crashing.
Uninstall Asus software
Game freeze during startup
Can be fixed by reinstalling Rockstar Games Social Club before launching. This have to be done every time before launching the game
- Add parameters to a
commandline.txtfile in the installation folder, or see command line arguments for other methods.
|-adapter||Force specific DirectX adapter starting from 0.|
|-aspectratio||Force aspect ratio [width:height].|
|-availablevidmem||Force Video RAM limit to the amount specified (MB).|
|-cpucount||Force CPU count if query is not successful.|
|-d3dmt||Force multi-threaded DirectX runtime.|
|-dx10||Force DirectX 10 if available.|
|-dx10_1||Force DirectX 10.1 if available.|
|-dx11||Force DirectX 11 if available.|
|-dx9||Force DirectX 9.|
|-frameLimit||Force VSync [0, 1, 2]|
|-fullscreen||Force Fullscreen mode.|
|-fxaa||Force FXAA quality [0..3].|
|-gpucount||Force GPU count if query is not successful.|
|-height||Force vertical resolution.|
|-language english||Force English language.|
|-language french||Force French language.|
|-language italian||Force Italian language.|
|-language german||Force German language.|
|-language spanish||Force Spanish language.|
|-language russian||Force Russian language.|
|-language portuguese||Force Portuguese language.|
|-language polish||Force Polish language.|
|-MSAA||Force MSAA [0..5].|
|-MSAAQuality||Force MSAA quality level.|
|-nomouseaccel||Disable mouse acceleration.|
|-outputMonitor||Force specific monitor starting from 0.|
|-reflectionquality||Force reflection quality [0..3].|
|-refreshrate||Force refresh rate.|
|-safemode||Force game to load with safest settings.|
|-shadowquality||Force shadow quality [0..3].|
|-ssao||Force SSAO [0..1].|
|-stereo||Force 3D stereo support [0..1] (1 is on)|
|-tessellation||Force tessellation quality [0..3].|
|-texturefilterquality||Force the Anisotropic texture filter quality [0..4].|
|-texturequality||Force the texture quality [0..2].|
|-useHighQualityShaders||Force usage of high quality shaders [0..1].|
|-waterquality||Force water quality [0..2].|
|-width||Force horizontal resolution|
|-windowed||Force windowed mode.|
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista||XP, Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHz||Intel Dual Core 3 GHz or AMD Dual Core 3 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||3 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
AMD Radeon HD 3400
512 MB of VRAM
| NVIDIA GeForce 450 |
AMD Radeon HD 4870
1 GB of VRAM
|Operating system (OS)||10.7.5|
|Processor (CPU)|| Intel Dual Core Xeon|
Core i Series 2.4 GHz or greater
|System memory (RAM)||4GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||32 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA 8800GT |
AMD Radeon HD 4870
512 MB of VRAM
- Max Payne 3 Performance Thread - Page 3 - Guru3D.com Forums
- Max Payne 3 Tweak Guide | GeForce
- [ProjectRYG v2.0 & v3.0] RYG Evaluation- Max Payne 3
- Effect of GameSpy Closure on Past Rockstar Titles – Rockstar Support
- Information about the Steam version of Max Payne 3 – Rockstar Support
- Rockstar Support on Twitter: "@PalZer0 We don't announce max activations, reset timers, etc. but we can make sure that you can play the game on computers you own. :)"
- New 120Hz Games Report
- A working FOV / aspect ratio tweak! - Steam Users' Forums
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Steam Users' Forums - View Single Post - Unable to sign into rockstar social club
- Game will not launch... >.< - Steam Users' Forums
- Steam Users' Forums - View Single Post - Game will not launch... >.<
- Fix: Steam thinks its running in compatibility mode
- Changing graphic settings - Steam Users' Forums
- Freezing, "in use," or "no activations remaining" when clicking OK to link Steam with Social Club – Rockstar Support
- Can't Activate Max Payne 3, Error Contacting Activation Server? - Page 4 - Steam Users' Forums
- Fixed Service Pack 1 Issue. - Steam Users' Forums