Max Payne 3
| Release dates
June 1, 2012
June 20, 2013
|Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne||2003|
|Max Payne 3||2012|
- You should NOT use HDAO as ambient occlusion, because SSAO makes a bigger difference, does have bigger shadow casts and more objects seems to be affected, even causing a smaller performance loss. 
- PC version features high resolution textures, tessellation, high quality shadows and more PC specific features.
- Game allows DirectX mode changing between DX9, 10, 10.1 or 11.
- Game requires Rockstar Social Club for activation, and uses restrictive GameShield IronWrap DRM.
- OS X online multiplayer has stopped working due to GameSpy services being shut down.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Network
- 7 Issues fixed
- 7.1 Nothing happens at "Initializing" screen
- 7.2 Unable to sign into Rockstar Social Club
- 7.3 Game will not launch
- 7.4 Negative mouse acceleration and frame dependent mouse sensitivity
- 7.5 Game goes to pause menu randomly
- 7.6 Error code 1641 on launch
- 7.7 Game crashes with StackHash_XXX Error
- 7.8 ERR_OS_VISTA
- 7.9 Graphics settings not saving
- 7.10 Steam version product key activation error
- 7.11 Requires Service Pack 1
- 7.12 Asus software
- 7.13 Game freeze during startup
- 8 Other information
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Retail||Does not unlock a digital download.|
|Steam||DLC is loaded through the Rockstar Social Club account.|
- All versions require Rockstar Social Club for activation and online features.
- All versions use GameShield IronWrap DRM. Rockstar have not disclosed details of how many machine activations are allowed nor any other restrictions.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3|
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\Max Payne 3\Profiles|
- Rockstar's Social Club supports save game cloud syncing.
|Widescreen resolution||Anamorphic 16:9; other aspect ratios are letterboxed.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Windowed Borderless Gaming.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Low to Very High FXAA and 2x, 4x or 8x MSAA options.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
- Max Payne 3 supports 3D on Nvidia cards.
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Music, SFX|
|Surround sound||Up to 5.1 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Most languages can be forced by using
-language Language. For Brazilian Portuguese use
-language Portuguese. See Language.
|Online play||OS X multiplayer no longer works.|
Nothing happens at "Initializing" screen
The game must be installed under C:/ProgramFilesx86/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Max Payne 3 in order for Social Club to load, which is required to play the game. If the game was installed to a custom steam folder, copy (not move) it to the default ProgramFilesx86 folder, then have Steam uninstall the game, then reinstall it to the default location. Steam will detect the existing files and fix the installation, and the game will proceed properly. If the problem is not solved:
- Ensure the MaxPayne3.exe does NOT have compatibility or Admin rights settings applied.
- Use the -scdetectproxy steam launch option.
- Delete the Social Club install folder. (Do not use the uninstaller.) Install an earlier version of Rockstar Games Social Club such as v18.104.22.168. Run the game and it will tell you to update the Social Club program. Run the installer from Max Payne 3's MP3Installers folder.
Unable to sign into Rockstar Social Club
Game will not launch
- The game will not launch for many users.
Change to DirectX 9 • Link
This can be fixed by going into safe mode, and changing the game to DirectX 9.
Negative mouse acceleration and frame dependent mouse sensitivity
- Even after the patch which introduced a mouse acceleration toggle, some players experience negative mouse acceleration as well as framerate dependent sensitivities.
- There are currently no true fixes for the negative mouse acceleration.
Reduce graphics settings • LinkTurning off FXAA, MSAA, and vsync may help to make negative mouse acceleration tolerable.
This error is usually caused by having an Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter plugged into USB.
Remove Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter • Link
Error code 1641 on launch
Restart • Link
Game crashes with StackHash_XXX Error
- This error is caused by Data Execution Prevention in Windows Vista/7.
Administrator privileges • LinkRun
StackHash error fix • Link
If the previous fix didn't fix it, attempt the following:
- This error message can be caused on the Steam version of the game when Steam is forced by the OS into compatibility mode.
ERR_OS_VISTA • Link
Graphics settings not saving
- Game may report that video memory is 0/0. This may be caused by older graphics drivers which need updating.
Steam version product key activation error
Move installation folder • Link
For the error message "no activations remaining for this activation key" or "cannot contact activation server  when trying to activate the game over socialclub.
Requires Service Pack 1
- The game may show the error message 'Requires Service Pack 1 or superior'.
Requires Service Pack 1 • Link
- Asus software 'Smart Doctor' or 'Asus Gamer' may cause crashing.
Uninstall Asus software • Link
Game freeze during startup
Can be fixed by reinstalling Rockstar Social Club before launching. This have to be done every time before launching the game
Max Payne 3's engine allows direct input through Command Line commands. There are two ways to implement these commands:
Command Lines • Link
List of commands
|-adapter||Force specific DirectX adapter starting from 0.|
|-aspectratio||Force aspect ratio [width:height].|
|-availablevidmem||Force Video RAM limit to the amount specified (MB).|
|-cpucount||Force CPU count if query is not successful.|
|-d3dmt||Force multi-threaded DirectX runtime.|
|-dx10||Force DirectX 10 if available.|
|-dx10_1||Force DirectX 10.1 if available.|
|-dx11||Force DirectX 11 if available.|
|-dx9||Force DirectX 9.|
|-frameLimit||Force VSync [0, 1, 2]|
|-fullscreen||Force Fullscreen mode.|
|-fxaa||Force FXAA quality [0..3].|
|-gpucount||Force GPU count if query is not successful.|
|-height||Force vertical resolution.|
|-language english||Force English language.|
|-language french||Force French language.|
|-language italian||Force Italian language.|
|-language german||Force German language.|
|-language spanish||Force Spanish language.|
|-language russian||Force Russian language.|
|-language portuguese||Force Portuguese language.|
|-language polish||Force Polish language.|
|-MSAA||Force MSAA [0..5].|
|-MSAAQuality||Force MSAA quality level.|
|-nomouseaccel||Disable mouse acceleration.|
|-outputMonitor||Force specific monitor starting from 0.|
|-reflectionquality||Force reflection quality [0..3].|
|-refreshrate||Force refresh rate.|
|-safemode||Force game to load with safest settings.|
|-shadowquality||Force shadow quality [0..3].|
|-ssao||Force SSAO [0..1].|
|-stereo||Force 3D stereo support [0..1] (1 is on)|
|-tessellation||Force tessellation quality [0..3].|
|-texturefilterquality||Force the Anisotropic texture filter quality [0..4].|
|-texturequality||Force the texture quality [0..2].|
|-useHighQualityShaders||Force usage of high quality shaders [0..1].|
|-waterquality||Force water quality [0..2].|
|-width||Force horizontal resolution|
|-windowed||Force windowed mode.|
-language English -language French -language Italian -language German -language Spanish -language Russian -language Portuguese -language polish
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista||XP, Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHz||Intel Dual Core 3 GHz or AMD Dual Core 3 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||3 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
AMD Radeon HD 3400
512 MB of VRAM
| NVIDIA GeForce 450 |
AMD Radeon HD 4870
1 GB of VRAM
|Operating system (OS)||10.7.5|
|Processor (CPU)|| Intel Dual Core Xeon|
Core i Series 2.4 GHz or greater
|System memory (RAM)||4GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||32 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA 8800GT |
AMD Radeon HD 4870
512 MB of VRAM
- Effect of GameSpy Closure on Past Rockstar Titles – Rockstar Support
- New 120Hz Games Report
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Steam Users' Forums - View Single Post - Unable to sign into rockstar social club