| Release dates
November 8, 2011
- Poor PC port
- Frame rate is capped at 30 FPS but this can be removed with Widescreen Fixer. Removing the cap works fine at 60 FPS but for higher framerates it may cause some physics and driving problems.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Issues fixed
- 6.1 Freezing Title Screen
- 6.2 Game Freezes on 64-bit Windows 7
- 6.3 Error Patching: Error Binary Patching File
- 6.4 Rockstar Games Auto-Updater stuck at "Checking for Updates"
- 6.5 Slowdown, lag, or frame-rate issues
- 6.6 Crash-to-desktop on Windows 8
- 6.7 Endless Launcher Loop
- 6.8 Missing Main Menu
- 6.9 Nvidia Video Driver crashes
- 6.10 Black border around game
- 6.11 USB Controller Problems
- 6.12 Problems with Rockstar Social Club
- 6.13 Yellow Cab Bug
- 7 Issues unresolved
- 8 Launch parameters
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Green Man Gaming|
|Official website||DRM Download|
- All versions require Rockstar Social Club for activation and online, community features (Such as stats). An account is not necessary to play the single-player campaign.
- All versions use GameShield IronWrap DRM. Rockstar have not disclosed details of how many machine activations are allowed nor any other restrictions.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\L.A. Noire\settings.ini|
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\L.A. Noire\Profiles\<user-id>\L.A.Noire\SaveGame*.lanoire|
L.A. Noire Save Game Manager
L.A. Noire Save Game Manager is a utility developed by ReanimationXP. It's a program which allows the manual creation of save points during a mission. This allows one to create save games during a mission, and to reload part-way through a mission. This allows one to attempt different dialogue options without restarting the mission completely.
|Field of view (FOV)||Use Widescreen Fixer (supports version 1.3.2613).|
|Windowed|| Use |
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Borderless Gaming.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||FXAA only by default; however the game supports Sparse Grid Super-Sample Anti-aliasing using Nvidia Inspector and the compatibility bit 0x004000C0|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||Frame rate is capped at 30 FPS but this can be removed with Widescreen Fixer. Removing the cap works fine at 60 FPS but for higher framerates it may cause some physics and driving problems.|
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Disabled by default. Can be enabled in the options menu.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support||Full in-game support. Launcher does not support controller input.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Auto configures up to 7.1 output|
|Mute on focus lost||Game pauses itself and pause menu has no audio.|
|Turkish||Use L.A. Noire - %100 Türkçe Yama.|
Freezing Title Screen
L.A. Noire for Windows is known to freeze at the title screen during the synchronization process, or immediately after, when the camera moves away from the L.A. Noire neon sign. There are several possible reasons for this. Some of the most common are:
- Anti-Virus Related Issues where game files are misrecognized as malware.
- .NET Framework 3.5 or C++ runtime libraries are not properly installed or configured. 
- Firewall prevents game from making a connection to the internet.
- Compatibility options are set incorrectly on Steam.
Check that that you have the latest versions of .NET Framework, C++ Runtime Libraries, and DirectX Components installed. Also be sure that your firewall is disabled or contains an exception for L.A. Noire, so that the game can connect to the internet. And make sure that Steam is not set to use compatibility features.
Compatibility options set incorrectly on Steam
Update Social Club application to the latest version.
Game Freezes on 64-bit Windows 7
On 64-bit Windows 7, the game might freeze as soon as the synchronization (refresh) symbol shows up, which appears right after the Team Bondi logo. This is due to the game being incompatible with the current version of the .NET Framework 3.5 installed into your system. This is also the main reason why the associated .NET Framework installer provided with the game won't install.
Fix the .NET Framework on 64-bit Windows 7
Error Patching: Error Binary Patching File
Remove patched files and re-patch
Rockstar Games Auto-Updater stuck at "Checking for Updates"
Manually run the patcher
Slowdown, lag, or frame-rate issues
Tweaking game via command line switches
Crash-to-desktop on Windows 8
Apply patches for Windows 8 compatibility
Endless Launcher Loop
An endless launcher loop or a crash after re-running setup might occur if Steam's access permissions are incorrect. Running Steam as an Administrator may resolve this. Running the game in offline mode also might be useful thing to try out.
Run Steam as an Administrator (short-term solution)
Fix Steam permissions
Missing Main Menu
The main menu might disappear in the Steam version of L.A. Noire. To solve it, try the following:
Defragment the game files/hard drive
Alternative solution to the Missing Main Menu Issue
Nvidia Video Driver crashes
On some setups, including Windows 7 with an Nvidia graphics card, the game may crash frequently in DX11 mode. You may receive a notice in the notification area stating that the video driver has stopped working and has been recovered. If this happens, try playing in DX9 mode.
Black border around game
This is caused by the display's overscan handling. See the Overscan entry for solutions.
USB Controller Problems
With certain controllers connected to the PC (e.g. Wheel or Flight pedals) a bug can occur whereby even with controller set to disabled in the game menus the game still tries to accept controller input for some game controls and ignores keyboard input. Most notably this occurs when trying to drive cars. You will be unable to drive forward or reverse as long as the problem controller is plugged in to the personal computer.
Force controller Detection To Be a Default USB Device
Problems with Rockstar Social Club
You may have a Social Club account and can successfully login to it on the website. However, logging on to it via the in-game overlay may result in errors such as "Invalid E-Mail or Password".
Can't Login to Rockstar Social Club In-GameTo fix this, simply download and install the latest version of the L.A. Noire Social Club application located in this article.
- This fix should also resolve similar issues within Max Payne 3.
Yellow Cab Bug
How to bypass the Yellow Cab Bug
Corrupt License File
When starting the game, a social club "Corrupt License File" error message is displayed and the game refuses to start. I have found a fix that might work, after many hours of research I found out that the only reason my game has been doing this is because L.A Noire was not installed in program files in local disk C with rockstar social club. So if your files are saved away from local disk C Try moving them there and try it out.
Following graphics cards are known to have problems with the L.A. Noire:
- Any graphics card with less than 256 MB per GPU
- ATI Radeon HD 5570 1024 MB
- ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB AGP Pro
- Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB AGP Pro
Unable to install game to FAT32 partition
Installation of the game may not work on partitions formatted using FAT32. This problem occurs in Steam when the progress of the download indefinitely "suspends" around the 90% point. Recommended course of action is to relocate your installation to an NTFS partition.
You can supply launch parameters to L.A. Noire for example in a situation were you're running into compatibility problems, or if you're having serious performance issues. These may help you debug the issue, and thus resolve the problem.
To input launch parameters you have to open the launcher of the game, access the Options menu. There you can write the parameters into the Command Line field of the launcher. You might have to start the game manually using
LANLauncher.exe located inside the installation folder to see the launcher. It's noteworthy that Steam always starts the game using
|-windowed||Run game in a window.|
|-ignorefocus||Don't pause the game if you Alt-Tab or click out of its window.|
|-mousefree||Allow mouse outside the game window. (Requires windowed mode).|
|-str||Enable single threaded renderer, which may improve performance or compatibility on some systems.|
|-npd||Disable the 'D3D_PUREDEVICE' flag from device creation. May help if you have graphics compatibility issues.|
|-nosound||Disable all sound.|
|-L||Change the language - use English, French, German, Italian or Spanish, e.g. -L french|
|-joysticktype||Force a specific directinput controller type. Can be used to try different controller button layouts if your controller isn't specifically supported.|
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista, 7||Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)|| Intel Dual Core 2.2 GHz
AMD Dual Core 2.4 GHz
| Intel Quad Core 3.2 GHz|
AMD Quad Core 3.2 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||8 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Radeon HD 3000
512 MB of VRAM
| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 |
Radeon HD 6850
1024 MB of VRAM
- LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port - Steam Users' Forums for L.A. Noire
- LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port - NeoGAF
- How is the PC port as compared to its console versions? - GameFAQs
- L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition (PC) Review Page 2 - GameFront
- LA Noire FPS Cap Removal Issues (120hz) - YouTube
- Steam Users' Forums - View Single Post - Unofficial List of Steam Games with DRM
- L.A. Noire Save Game Manager website
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Freezing on Neon Sign/Title Screen during synchronization in L.A. Noire for PC
- .NET, C++, DirectX: Nothing happening after pressing Launch in L.A. Noire
- "Error Patching: Error binary patching file" / What to do if a patch fails to install in L.A. Noire for PC