Command & Conquer
| Release dates
August 31, 1995
March 10, 1997
|Command & Conquer||1995|
|The Covert Operations|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert||1996|
|Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun||1999|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2||2000|
|Command & Conquer: Renegade||2002|
|Command & Conquer: Generals||2003|
|Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars||2007|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3||2008|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising||2009|
|Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight||2010|
- Also titled as "Tiberian Dawn"
- Re-released for free in 2007.
- Command & Conquer Gold: Project 1.06 fan patch and CnCNet are highly recommended to install.
- If you want a modernized C&C experience, check out OpenRA.
- Language support can be further extended with language add-ons.
- CD/ISO installer is 16-bit and doesn't run under modern systems; it's better to download fanmade installers instead.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network
- 8 Issues unresolved
- 9 Issues fixed
- 10 OS X/Linux emulation
- 11 Other information
- 12 System requirements
- 13 References
|Amazon.com||Bundled with other games in the franchise up to Generals.|
|Origin||Bundled with other games in the franchise up to Tiberian Twilight.|
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
|Command and Conquer: The Covert Operations||Comes bundled with the The First Decade and Ultimate Collection compilations.|
- Not needed for fan-made packages, it is already present there.
- This patch contains:
- A large amount of fixes (changelog)
- Support for newer Windows systems (including 64-bit)
- LAN playability up to 6 players
- Support for higher resolutions
- No-CD option
- Missions from PSX and N64 versions and The Covert Operations
- The site also offers Music Upgrade Pack if you installed the game through CDs/ISOs.
- In the compatibility tab all compatibility options should be turned off.
- Support for regular installation, The First Decade and The Ultimate Collection.
- Command & Conquer Gold: Project 1.06 must be installed first.
- Restores online functionality and comes with its own lobby for online and LAN play as well. It also introduces more fixes and features to the main game (e.g. extended sidebar) by supplying new "cnc95.exe".
- The lobby supports:
- Better chat capabilities (ignore, whisper, Mumble voice chat)
- Private games
- Map preview and kick/ban
- To install, put cncnet.exe into the installation folder. It is recommended to run it once with administrator privileges.
- Check peer-to-peer section if you have any problems with peer-to-peer mode.
- To whisper, double-click the person you want to chat with.
- Additional lobby sound add-ons
Configuration file(s) location
conquer.inicontains normal game settings.
ddraw.inicontains CnC-DDraw settings (present after patch).
cncnet.inicontains CnCNet settings.
Save game data location
- These are video settings alongside the fan patch
|Widescreen resolution|| The maximum map size is 1488x1488.|
Playing on higher resolutions might cause visual artifacts.
|4K Ultra HD||The maximum map size is 1488x1488.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See Vertical sync (Vsync).|
|High frame rate|
Set in ddraw.ini
Set in ddraw.ini
Set in ddraw.ini
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Remapping||See here (Google Docs) for keybindings.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Music and sound|
|Mute on focus lost|
|French||Installed by patch 1.06, audio only from Fan mirror #2.|
|German||Installed by patch 1.06, audio only from Fan mirror #2.|
|Japanese||Installed by patch 1.06, audio only from Fan mirror #2.|
|Polish||Unofficial; use Language add-on.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Partial audio; use Language add-on.|
|Spanish||Unofficial; use Language add-on.|
- C&C patch adds support for multiple languages. Download them from PCGamingWiki repository.
- It's assumed you have CnCNet installed.
|LAN co-op||2||Search for "Metal Onslaught"|
|Online co-op||2||Search for "Metal Onslaught"|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
- This game supports Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) for automatic port configuration through CnCNet UPnP tool.
- This list assumes you've installed the patches. If you experience a new issue, please make a support thread on the CnC-Comm forums.
- The game has some minor problems with missions that are smaller than the game resolution. This is nothing to be worried about, you can "fix" it by pressing Escape.
- When playing in any resolution higher than 640x400, you can't place buildings with a placement height of only one cell on the lowest row of cells on the map.
- If you have problems with The First Decade or The Ultimate Collection, be sure to check this FAQ on EA forums.
Check these if you haven't
Crash after overheating
Edit ddraw.ini and enable "singlecpu"
Game is laggy after installing the patch
Change the renderer in ddraw.ini
Game speed/Map scroll rate issue
Set the slider in-game
"Unable to set video mode" error
Change the resolution
No music in the portable version
Go to CnCNet lobby and download the music in the settings
Scrambled colors (without ddraw.dll)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold] "Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00 "Name"="cnc95.exe" "ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32"
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold] "Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00 "Name"="cnc95.exe" "ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32
No videos after installing the patch
Download the videos
OS X/Linux emulation
- This is an emulation guide for the fan-made packs, not for the ISOs or CDs.
- PlayonLinux/PlayonMac can also be set up to play with the same configuration (if you want a step-by-step guide, go to FunkyFr3sh.cncnet.org).
- The configuration program requires .NET Framework 2.0.
- If the configuration program doesn't work, then you have to do configure the game manually in conquer.ini or the aforementioned ddraw.ini. The settings for the internal resolution, sound and multiplayer options (not CnCNet) and languages are in conquer.ini.
- C&C has support for external maps, both multiplayer and singleplayer.
- Map editors can be downloaded inside CnCNet's game options.
- Cnc-Comm.com - Mapping discussion
- Thanks to dedicated C&C community, there are a couple of re-implementations and total conversion existing.
- Recreation that tries to modernize the classic gameplay of older Command & Conquer games (and Dune 2000).
- Cross-platform multiplayer for Windows, OS X and Linux.
- Features a reimagined interface amongst other things.
- Music and campaign (in the works) are missing from the game; download the music and put it into:
- OS X:
- C&C: Tiberian Dawn - HTML5 - Playable in browser, might run slowly, multiplayer-ready
- The Dawn of the Tiberium Age - Tiberian Sun, stand-alone, has a completely new campaign, CnCNet supported
- Red Dawn - Red Alert
- Tiberian Dawn Redux - Generals
|Operating system (OS)||MS-DOS 5.0||95|
|Processor (CPU)||486 DX2 66 MHz||Pentium 60 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||8 MB||8 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||800 MB||800 MB|
|Video card (GPU)||MCGA video card|| DirectDraw compatible video card |
1 MB of VRAM