Command & Conquer
|First release date|| MS-DOS|
August 31, 1995
March 10, 1997
|First release date||1996|
|Command & Conquer||1995|
|The Covert Operations|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert||1996|
|Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun||1999|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2||2000|
|Command & Conquer: Renegade||2002|
|Command & Conquer: Generals||2003|
|Command & Conquer: The First Decade||2006|
|Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars||2007|
|Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3||2008|
|Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight||2010|
|Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection||2012|
|Command & Conquer (2013)||2013|
- This game is also known as "Tiberian Dawn".
- Released for free in 2007.
- Command & Conquer Gold: Project 1.06 fan patch is highly recommended to install.
- Works very well in Mac and Linux using emulation..
- In order to access online play with CnCNet, start the game with cncnet.exe. To play LAN, start the game as usual.
|Fan mirror #1 (portable)||This version contains improvements not present in the fan patch like the extended sidebar.|
|Fan mirror #2 (installable)||This pack is missing movies; download them from here.|
|GDI and NOD (EA servers)||ISOs that have been released for free by EA.|
|DMG (Mac)||Old DMG files for Mac. They are untested and have no benefits of the fan patch. It's most likely wiser to opt for emulation.|
- The game is also bundled with other games in the franchise in Command & Conquer: The First Decade (up to Generals) and The Ultimate Collection (up to Tiberian Twilight).
- This patch contains:
- You can find the list of full changes in the changelog.
- Compatibility mode, 256 colors and 640x480 in the compatibility tab should be turned OFF.
- It is not recommended to install CnCNet alone as most players use 1.06 version and the patch installs CnCNet anyway.
- The site also offers Music Upgrade Pack if you installed the game through CDs/ISOs.
- Support for regular installation, The First Decade and The Ultimate Collection.
- This map pack updater adds and updates custom multiplayer map packs in your C&C directory.
- To "install" the updater, put the files into the installation directory.
- TiberianDawnLauncher.exe is an optional game launcher included with the updater; CNCupdate.exe checks for updates every time the launcher starts.
- C&C patch also supports multiple languages. They can be found lower in the Command & Conquer Gold: Project 1.06 website.
- Natively supported languages
Additional language packs
- British English
- (Brazilian) Portuguese.
 Game data
 Default installation directories
|The First Decade||C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer(tm)|
|The Ultimate Collection||C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer|
 Configuration files location
 Save game location
|GameSave Manager||It has to be set up manually|
 Video settings
- These are video settings alongside the fan patch.
|Widescreen resolution||The maximum size of a C&C map is only 1488x1488 so 1600x1200 gameplay will be ridden with graphical glitches on every map.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See Vsync|
Enabling borderless fullscreen • Link
Enabling Vsync • Link
 Fullscreen movies
Fulscreen movies • Link
 Input Settings
|Remapping||See Remapping for more info and here (Google Docs) for keybindings.|
 Network settings
In order to play the game online with CnCNet, you can choose two main options: peer-to-peer or tunneled mode. Generally, peer-to-peer method is faster, but may need some network configuration. There are 2 options of doing this:
CnCNet Tester • Link
 Issues unresolved
- If you haven't found an issue, head over to forums with links at the top of the page.
- It isn't possible to install the CDs/ISOs on a 64-bit system because the installer itself is 16-bit. It would be better to download from the fan mirrors.
- The game has some minor problems with missions that are smaller than the game resolution. This is nothing to be worried about, you can "fix" it by going to the in-game menu (Escape key).
- When playing in any resolution higher than 640x400, you can't place buildings with a placement height of only one cell on the lowest row of cells on the map.
 Issues fixed
 General fix
General fix • Link
 CCConfig won't run
CCConfig • Link
 Game speed/Map Scroll Rate issue
Game speed • Link
 Scrambled colors (without ddraw.dll)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold] "Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00 "Name"="C&C95.exe" "ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32"
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold] "Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00 "Name"="C&C95.exe" "ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32
 "Unable to set video mode" error
Unable to set video mode • Link
 Crash after overheating
 No videos after installing the patch
No videos • Link
 Uncapturable AC Center/Helipad in NOD missions
Uncapturable • Link
 No difference in GDI and NOD Funpark campaign
- This actually isn't an issue; there is technically only one Funpark campaign, with one missions set, and one briefing video. The side choice only affects which helicopters you get, and what you can build in mission #4, the only one where you have a base.
 The map is put in a small box with black around it.
- Not actually an issue; it happens because the map is smaller than the monitor resolution.
 Mac/Linux emulation
- This is an emulation guide for the fan-made executable, not for the ISOs or CDs.
- This is a guide to emulation using PlayonLinux/PlayonMac and can be also set on Wine with same configuration.
- Download PlayonLinux or PlayonMac and install it.
- Open, click "Install" and then "Install a non-listed program" at the bottom.
- Choose "Install a program in a new virtual drive" and then check "Configure Wine" (Name of the virtual drive doesn't matter)
- In the libraries tab, add ddraw.dll and thipx32.dll to override list, write them and click Add (one at a time).
- After configuring Wine, select the executable, click Next and go through the installation process.
- Add shortcuts for C&C95.exe and cncnet.exe.
- Have fun!
- If the configuration program doesn't work, then you have to do configure the game manually in conquer.ini or the aforementioned ddraw.ini. The settings for the internal resolution, sound and multiplayer options (not CnCNet) and languages are in conquer.ini.
 General information
There are a couple of open-source implementations of C&C existing. OpenRA is an implementation that is multiplatform and despite what it says on the title, has a C&C mod. It has a completely reimagined interface, supports high resolutions and is most supported (despite the name, it contains a Tiberian Dawn mod). However, its multiplayer-only and music has to be put separately into its Application Data folder. Another one is C&C: Tiberian Dawn - HTML5 which uses HTML5 features to be playable in a browser. Because it is a work in progress, it's lacking in options and it runs very slowly.
There are also some total conversions of the game. There's a Tiberian Sun conversion The Dawn of the Tiberium Age which is online compatible and which has a completely different campaign than in the original game. Also, a Red Alert conversion called Red Dawn is available as well as Generals conversion called Tiberian Dawn Redux.
Unlike newer games like Tiberian Sun, Tiberian Dawn doesn't support a strong modding community; however there are some that are quite neat on the fan-patch site, although definitely not necessary and mostly for fun.
- WinDOwS - Adds DOS interface
- German censoring - Brings back the German censoring
- Star Wars mod
C&C has support for external maps, both multiplayer and singleplayer. You can now download multiplayer maps automatically with Map Pack Updater as well as at the beginning of this article with singleplayer maps. There's even a map creator you can find at CnC-Comm, XCC Mixer to package the maps and this tutorial on how to get started.
 System requirements
|Operating system (OS)||MS-DOS 5.0||Windows 95|
|Processor (CPU)||486 DX2 66 MHz||Pentium 60 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||8 MB RAM||8 MB RAM|
|Video card (GPU)||MCGA video card||1 MB DirectDraw compatible video card|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||800 MB free||800 MB free|