Command & Conquer
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games
- Also titled as "Tiberian Dawn"
- Re-released for free in 2007.
- Command & Conquer Gold: Project 1.06 fan patch is highly recommended to install.
- If you want a modernized C&C experience, check out OpenRA.
- Language support can be further extended with language add-ons.
- CD/ISO installer is 16-bit and doesn't run under modern systems; it's better to download fanmade installers instead.
- C&C Communications Center forums
- Command & Conquer Wiki
- Patch discussion
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
| Command and Conquer: The Covert Operations
|| Comes bundled with the The First Decade and Ultimate Collection compilations.
- OpenRA is a modernized open-source version of C&C. Also includes Red Alert and Dune 2000 modes. See OpenRA for more information.
- CnCNet installer is a bare-bones version optimized for multiplayer (small size, portable). Missions, music and cutscenes are omitted. The music and map editor are downloadable inside the CnCNet settings.
- Nyerguds' installer is a more fully-featured version which includes singleplayer missions (including Covert Operations and PSX/N64 missions) and soundtrack from the get-go. Cutscenes are available at ModDB.com.
- Not needed for the unofficial packages.
- This patch contains:
- A large amount of fixes (changelog)
- Support for newer Windows systems (including 64-bit)
- LAN and online playability up to 6 players (includes new CnCNet lobby)
- Support for higher resolutions
- No-CD option
- Missions from PSX and N64 versions and The Covert Operations
- The site also offers Music Upgrade Pack if you installed the game through CDs/ISOs.
- Support for regular installation, The First Decade and The Ultimate Collection.
Configuration file(s) location
conquer.ini contains normal game settings.
ddraw.ini contains CnC-DDraw settings (post-patch).
cncnet.ini contains CnCNet settings (post-patch).
Save game data location
- These are video settings alongside the fan patch
Set in ddraw.ini
- Go to ddraw.ini:
width, height = equal to computer resolution,
- The resolution settings in ddraw only stretch the image; to set internal resolution, you need to run CCConfig.
Set in ddraw.ini
- Go to ddraw.ini:
| Audio options
| Separate volume controls
|| Music and sound
| Surround sound
| Closed captions
| Mute on focus lost
- C&C patch adds support for multiple languages. Download them from PCGamingWiki repository.
- It's assumed you have CnCNet installed.
- This list assumes you've installed the patches. If you experience a new issue, please create a thread at the CnC-Comm forums.
- The game has some minor problems with missions that are smaller than the game resolution. This is nothing to be worried about, you can "fix" it by pressing Escape.
- When playing in any resolution higher than 640x400, you can't place buildings with a placement height of only one cell on the lowest row of cells on the map.
- If you have problems with The First Decade or The Ultimate Collection, be sure to check this FAQ at EA forums.
Check these if you haven't
- If you have not found a fix, be sure to also check:
- If you have installed the patches properly.
- If everything in the compatibility tab is unchecked.
- If you have enabled "Back buffer in Video memory" and disabled "Allow hardware filled blits".
- If you may be able to initiate the game/lobby with administrator privileges.
- If you may be able to run it using a different renderer or enabling/disabling "singlecpu" in ddraw.ini
- If you may be able to run it by disabling cnc-ddraw (may introduce some other issues like scrambled colors).
Crash after overheating
Enable "singlecpu" in ddraw.ini.
Game is laggy after installing the patch
Change the renderer in ddraw.ini
Game speed/Map scroll rate issue
Set the slider in-game
- While in-game, press Esc to open a menu, press game controls and move the game speed slider to adjust the game speed or scroll rate slider to adjust the scroll speed.
"Unable to set video mode" error
Change the resolution
- There are 2 ways how to fix this error:
- Change the resolution.
- Enable windowed mode.
- If you really want to play fullscreen, you might want to check how to enable Borderless fullscreen windowed mode.
No music in the CnCNet version
Go to CnCNet lobby and download the music in the settings
Scrambled colors (without ddraw.dll)
- Ddraw.dll within the fan-patch already fixes that issue. However, if the game needs to run with ddraw.dll turned off and this appears, then this is for you.
No videos after installing the patch
Download the videos
- If you happen to have the game on CD, that means No-CD option is turned on. Either turn off the option, copy movies.mix from the CDs into the installation folder or just download the videos.
OS X/Linux emulation
- This is an emulation guide for the fan-made packs, not for the retail or Origin.
- PlayonLinux/PlayonMac can also be set up to play with the same configuration (if you want a step-by-step guide, go to FunkyFr3sh.cncnet.org).
- Install Wine from repositories or from official website and run or extract the installer under Wine.
- Inside 'winecfg' create configuration options for cnc95.exe and under the Library tab, add overrides for 'thipx32.dll' and 'ddraw.dll'.
- Have fun!
- The configuration program requires at least .NET Framework 2.0.
| Technical specs
| DOS video modes
|| MCGA, VGA
| 64-bit executable
|| Westwood Online
- C&C has support for external maps, both multiplayer and singleplayer.
- CnCNet includes its own online map directory.
- Map editors can be downloaded inside CnCNet's game options.
- Cnc-Comm.com - Mapping discussion
- Thanks to dedicated C&C community, there are a couple of re-implementations and total conversion existing.
- Multiplayer-only recreation that tries to modernize the classic gameplay of older Command & Conquer games (and Dune 2000).
- Re-imagined interface
| Operating system (OS)
|| MS-DOS 5.0
| Processor (CPU)
|| 486 DX2 66 MHz
|| Pentium 60 MHz
| System memory (RAM)
|| 8 MB
|| 8 MB
| Hard disk drive (HDD)
|| 800 MB
|| 800 MB
| Video card (GPU)
|| MCGA video card
|| DirectDraw compatible video card |
1 MB of VRAM
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 C&C Gold Project 1.06 FAQ - Notes on the new resolutions
- ↑ C&C Comm Center - C&C overheats my laptop
- ↑ C&C Comm Center - CnC95 laggy and unresponsive after gold edition patch, help!