| Release dates
September 18, 2012
November 21, 2012
|The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned|
|Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot|
|The Secret Armory of General Knoxx|
|Claptrap's New Robot Revolution|
|Mechromancer Pack (Premiere Club)|
|Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty|
|Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage|
|Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt|
|Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep|
|Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel||2014|
- A hack enabling split-screen co-op is available, a guide can be found here.
- Features every menu option promised in Claptrap's love letter to PC gamers, including an FOV slider, Vsync, and controller support.
- Reports indicate that the game is well-optimised on PC.
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- BL2 PC Technical Support - official PC-specific tech forum.
- /r/Borderlands - subreddit.
- /r/Borderlands2 - subreddit.
- Official Borderlands 2 Knowledge Database
- Official knowledge base for the OS X version
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network
- 8 Issues fixed
- 8.1 Low Framerate while engaging enemies
- 8.2 Low FPS
- 8.3 Crash after "Preparing to launch" window
- 8.4 Microsoft .NET Framework Client Profile Restarting Install
- 8.5 Installing from disc is slow
- 8.6 Co-op doesn't connect properly
- 8.7 Game appears to run in slow motion
- 9 Issues unresolved
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|Green Man Gaming|
|Mac App Store||Separate multiplayer servers (cannot play with Steam players). Exclusive skins and rocket grenade mod.|
- All Windows versions require Steam.
Launch the game with -NoLauncher parameter
Skip intro videos
Skip intro videos • Link
Find the following entries:
[FullScreenMovie] StartupMovies=2K_logo StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo StartupMovies=NVidia StartupMovies=Loading SkippableMovies=2K_logo SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo SkippableMovies=Attract SkippableMovies=NVidia
Replace them with:
[FullScreenMovie] ;StartupMovies=2K_logo ;StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo ;StartupMovies=NVidia ;StartupMovies=Loading SkippableMovies=2K_logo SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo SkippableMovies=Attract SkippableMovies=NVidia
Disable Outlines • Link
Disable Texture Fade-In
- In-game toggle added in patch 1.1.3.
Disable Texture Fade-In • Link
Launch the game with -NoController parameter
Enabling The Console
Enable Console • Link
The console should now be available for use, simply go in-game and press the tilde (~) key to open the console and the backslash key (\) to close it.
|Stat FPS||Displays the current FPS in game.|
|ToggleHUD||Toggles the HUD on and off.|
|FOV||Allows you to adjust the FOV beyond the range available from the Video Options menu. Note that some rendering issue may occur with very large or very small FOV settings.|
|Exit||Allows you to quickly exit the game.|
|Quit||Allows you to quickly exit the game.|
|Gamma value||Allows you set the Gamma value (brightness) beyond the bounds of the Video Options menu. Value is a floating point number (for example, 2.5).|
|SetRes HxV||Allows you to set a custom screen resolution to a value other than what is offered in the Video Options menu. H is the horizontal resolution. V is the verical resolution (for example, "setres 1024x768").|
|Shot||Take a screen shot.|
|Screenshot||Take a screen shot.|
|TiledShot 6 128||Take an ultra resolution screen shot, more info HERE. To take a TiledShot you must turn the cell shade off, Disable Cel-Shading Outlines.|
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config\|
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData|
|OS X||~/Library/Application Support/Borderlands 2/WillowGame/SaveData|
|Steam Cloud||Syncs save games and settings. However it does not support automatic crossplatform syncing.|
Crossplatform cloud syncing
|Field of view (FOV)||Does not scale weapon models.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Window mode can be set to fullscreen.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Requires restarting the game to enable.|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
|Color blind mode||Protanopia is bugged; use deuteranopia for protanomaly or protanopia.|
- PhysX can be enabled by any Nvidia card past series 8. AMD/ATi cards can enable the option at a very large performance hit due to the fact that the Glossary:PhysX would be CPU-bound.(High PhysX on an AMD card with a Intel CORE i5 3750K @ 3.40GHz, Example Video) For players with a primary AMD card but a secondary Nvidia card, the Nvidia card can be made to run PhysX calculations.
- Can cause low frame rate while enganging enemies. See Low Framerate while engaging enemies.
- Can cause items to fall through the ground, resulting in permanently lost loot. Changing the setting to "low" effectively turns off PhysX, reducing the chances of this occurring.
Nvidia 3D vision fix
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Can be easily enabled/disabled/tweaked via menu option|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Auto configures up to 5.0 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Windows and OS X players must have the same game version to play together. Mismatch issues might be caused by delayed OS X versions of the patches.
- The Mac App Store version is fully separate and can only play with other Mac App Store players.
|Local co-op||2||See this Steam Users' Forums Guide on hacking splitscreen into the game.|
|Direct IP||Add the IP address as a command line argument.|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|UDP (outbound)||3478, 4379-4380, 27000-27030|
- TweakGuides has created a comprehensive guide for fixing issues in this game. It can be found here.
Low Framerate while engaging enemies
Low fps while engaging enemies • Link
Reducing PhysX particles
Reducing visual particles of bullets, fire, slag, fire enemy, damage numbers of enemys when you fire him...reducing is good for performance.
Find under [Engine.Engine]:
Replace "0" (Infinte) with the desired number of particles processed in real-time, for example:
value 1 no visual Particles, more particles less fps.
You can turn reflections in water and other surfaces on and off independently of your other graphics settings if you choose.
In WillowEngine.ini, find these lines:
Just switch the True/False value to turn them on or off.
Disable Dynamic Shadows
Dynamic Shadows are a big resource hog, causing computers that exceed the recommended specs to see big FPS drops. By disabling dynamic shadows, FPS gains of up to 40FPS have been reported. To disable Dynamic Shadows:
Disable Dynamic Shadows • Link
Crash after "Preparing to launch" window
Create steam_appid.txt • Link
Microsoft .NET Framework Client Profile Restarting Install
Installing from disc is slow
Restart installation • Link
Co-op doesn't connect properly
1) Check the Ports
The first problem seems to be that it uses some hilariously odd ports to actually do the networking under. Ports that aren't covered by most routers 'unblocked ports' by default. These ports are as follows.
Yeah, that's a lot of ports - and not a good move on Gearbox's part, but the most likely way to being able to connect is to unblock these ports. If you're REALLY worried, a third party firewall like COMODO may be helpful.
2) Disable your firewall/add an exception
Windows Firewall appears to enjoy blocking Borderlands 2 by default, you should add an exception for the applications, and if that doesn't work the actual ports. To test if it will actually work before going through the motions, you can disable Windows Firewall - you'll be safe as long as you don't do anything safe.
You should also consider replacing Windows Firewall with something that works a little better - COMODO is free and gives Allow/Deny for anything that it doesn't recognise. This isn't an option for everyone though, and you will still need to add the exceptions either way.
3) Use the
Right click on Borderlands in your Steam, and select
4) Check the integrity of game cache:
Seriously, there appears to be a single file that it will always fail to validate and download when you do this. Right click the game in your Steam library, select
5) Reboot Steam
Some people are claiming that rebooting Steam makes a file download that makes the game work correctly - unlikely, but it wouldn't be the first time this was a solution.
6) Run Steam/the game as AdministratorClose the Steam.exe then simply right click Steam and select 'Run as Administrator'. Log into Steam then make a Borderlands 2 shortcut on your desktop and right click and run that as Administrator.
Game appears to run in slow motion
Using Gigabyte's OC Guru overclocking tool can cause the game to appear to run in slow motion, then jump forward in time every few seconds, especially after Alt+Tabbing
Close the OC Guru overlay • Link
AMD FX Chipset Restart After Launcher
- Game resets when clicking on launcher.
- Problem caused on AMD FX chipsets.
- Fix: Some users have reported that update your BIOS to the latest version solves this and other problems for users with AMD FX chips.
Microstutter on Powerful Rigs
- Game micro stutters on powerful rigs.
- Problem occurs on wireless and wired connections.
- Low FPS regardless of settings changes.
- Fix: Some users have reported that playing on a wired connection fixes the microstutter, others report that updating NIC drivers alleviates the problem, and yet still others report that disconnecting from the internet solves the problem..
- Fix: Changing MinDesiredFrameRate from 35 to 60 in
WillowEngine.inimay result in the expected performance from high-powered hardware.
Items Falling Through Floor
- Dropped items, such as loot from enemies, can fall straight through the ground, often resulting in permanent loss of that item.
- Fix: Disabling PhysX can drastically reduce the occurrence of this issue. Simply set PhysX to "Low" in the options.
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3||XP SP3, Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor||2.3 GHz Quad Core Processor|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon HD 2600
NVIDIA GeForce 8500
| ATI Radeon HD 5850 |
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
|Operating system (OS)|| |
10.7.5 (Lion), 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 GHz||Intel Quad Core, 2.6 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||4 GB||8 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon HD 2600
NVIDIA GeForce 8800
Intel HD 3000
256 MB of VRAM
|512 MB of VRAM|
- This game is very optimized - Reddit
- Twitter / Totalbiscuit: Oh man, I miss the time when ...
- Can I transfer my PC characters to my Mac? - Arqade
- Borderlands 2: Profiles and save games are not saved cross-platform in the Steam Cloud. : Aspyr Support
- Borderlands 2: Detailed widescreen report| WSGF
- A full list of all of the options in the PC version of Borderlands 2 - Reddit
- Vysnc does nto work. - Steam Users' Forums
- New 120Hz Games Report
- Inside the Box: Adding a Colorblind Mode to Borderlands 2 - Gearbox Software
- No physx for us AMD users - Steam Users' Forums
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Borderlands 2 FAQ (STEAM) : Aspyr Support
- borderlands 2 - How can I set up a LAN game over Hamachi? - Arqade
- Borderlands 2 Low FPS help [Solved] - Tom's Hardware Forum
- [PSA] .NET install issue fix for Steam // other launch issues and common questions addressed (PC) - Reddit
- Borderlands 2 keeps asking me to restart computer to complete .net installation? - GameShampoo
- What the hell is with the Microsoft .net framework client profile, and why does it keep installing only to make me restart and install again? - Reddit
- Encountering a problem with install. .Net - The Gearbox Software Forums
- Can't connect to Borderlands 2? Potential fixes live here! - Reddit
- restarts my PC after clicking play in the launcher. - The Gearbox Software Forums
- Game stutters (not a framerate issue) - The Gearbox Software Forums
- Consistent Stutter - 7970 - The Gearbox Software Forums
- PhysX in Borderlands 2 - [H]ard|Forum