A custom installer for the game, it provides modern Windows compatibility, netbook support, improved load times, and various bug fixes.
It can be found on the Sierra Help Pages Forums.
The King's Quest: Mask of Eternity - Shim is a run-time patch that has been developed to workaround the infamous TalkComplete bug (random cutscene freeze), a lot of compatibility issues, and some annoyances.
All known demos, retail versions (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Brazilian), and the GOG.com release have been tested on Windows 95..10 and Wine 1.8.
1. Download and install Zeckenseck's Glide Wrapper.
2. Using Notepad, create a text file titled starttxt and add in the following:
MASK of ETERNITY
The King's Quest: Mask of Eternity CD was not found.
Please check your CD drive and restart the game.
Allocating Textures. Please wait...
Microsoft Direct Draw
You must be running in 256 color mode or higher.
You can change the color depth from the control panel display icon.
3. Take the file created in Step 2 and add it to the installation folder.
4. While in the installation folder, open the Options.cs file with Notepad and replace line 8 to read assignGModeName Glide.
5. Launch the game
6. Before starting a new game, go the options menu and change the graphics settings to the following:
7. Start a new game!
NOTE: If the above graphics settings work fine when launching a new game, try turning on graphics settings to improve the quality.