The Longest Journey
| Release dates
November 19, 1999
- Performance is fairly poor on modern operating systems, with multiple issues with the way that the game window is rendered and movie compatibility.
- Fixes listed on this article make the game playable, but the experience is relatively unfriendly.
- Official game site
- Official forums
- Official forums support section
- The Longest Journey Wiki
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums
- Official game soundtrack download page
- The GOG.com version has been updated for compatibility with modern systems.
- 4 CD-ROMs, a 2 CD as well as a DVD re-release has been made.
Steam And GOG.com
- Both versions of the game have been patched for Windows 7 compatibility
- Both require major tweaking in order to be user-friendly.
- Patch 1.61 adds an external configuration tool along with some bug fixes. Digital distribution versions are already patched.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
- No native option to run in windowed.
- Game only runs at resolution at 640x480 (whether fullscreen or windowed)
- Game window cannot be moved or manipulated, and there are no fixes for this issue.
Fix: Edit Preferences.ini
%APPDATA%\The Longest Journey\Preferences.ini
- Under the
[DirectX] heading, type
bool_StartFullscreen=0, and save your changes.
Fix: Secondary Monitor
- Will not work on every graphics card.
- Sometimes connecting an external monitor will force the game into "windowed mode".
| Audio options
| Separate volume controls
| Surround sound
| Closed captions
| Mute on focus lost
Movie and graphics problems
- Issue with not being able to view the Bink-encoded movies.
- Issue with not being able to display a game window (black screen).
- The two listed fixes work for most people, but others have persistent problems and cannot get the game to work.
- If it doesnt work, try to create multiple display (VGA, extend), as shown in this video. Also u can put those two monitors you have just created in cross possition, so your mouse will not run "out of screen".
Fix: High Performance Power Plan
Change the power settings to 'High Performance' in the control panel.
- This fix only applies to laptops.
Crash at Police Station
- On some graphics cards, the game will crash upon entering the Police Station.
- If you find the patch is unable to be installed (for example, with the GOG.com version of the game), you may be able to fix the crash by changing some options on the game's launcher. Turn off 3D acceleration, high quality models and set the game to 16 bit colour. You can then re-enable these after you get past that section of the game.
When all else fails you can try right-clicking the game icon, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab and check the box for "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution".
| Operating system (OS)
|| 98, ME, 2000, XP
| Processor (CPU)
|| Pentium 166 MHz
|| Pentium II 266 MHz
| System memory (RAM)
|| 32 MB
|| 64 MB
| Hard disk drive (HDD)
|| 300 MB
|| 2 GB
| Video card (GPU)
|| 640x480 SVGA high colour (16bit) video card
2 MB of VRAM
| 3D accelarator card (Direct 3D compatible) |
4 MB of VRAM
- ↑ Wikipedia:The Longest Journey
- ↑ http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7631112&postcount=2
- ↑ http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558693
- ↑ http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23571841&postcount=8