Team Fortress 2
| Release dates
October 9, 2007
June 10, 2010
November 6, 2012
|Team Fortress (mod)||1996|
|Team Fortress Classic||1999|
|Team Fortress 2||2007|
- Official blog
- Official wiki - Run by the TF2 community and hosted by Valve
- GitHub Issue Tracker includes other Source-based games
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums
- Steam Workshop
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network
- 8 Issues fixed
- 8.1 Generic fixes for issues
- 8.2 Purple and black broken textures
- 8.3 Game Crashes at Valve Logo on Startup
- 8.4 Game crashes after closing MotD
- 8.5 Cosmetic items do not appear on a player
- 8.6 Getting disconnected while playing on a LAN with multiple players
- 8.7 Game cache files are stuck validating
- 8.8 Low FPS fix
- 9 Other information
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|Steam||Free to play.|
- All versions require Steam.
Skip intro videos
-novid • Link
Configuration files location
- Steam Cloud settings are stored in
- Demo files are stored in
|Steam Cloud||Settings, in-game sprays and Steam Workshop submissions.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|Oculus Rift||Available under Video Settings. See Oculus Rift for more information.|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
|Color blind mode||Under "Advanced HUD Options". Only changes some minor effects like Jarate and Mad Milk.|
- An FOV slider is available within the options which is limited to a value between 75 and 90. This sets the FOV for a 4:3 monitor. The actual FOV will be adjusted for other aspect ratios, meaning widescreens gain a higher than configured FOV.
- The TF2 Tactics video on FOV has more information about FOV in TF2 and in general.
fov_desired # • Link
Plugins • Link
-window -noborder • Link
- By default VR mode will run full screen, to switch back to a borderless windowed set the
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See Controller Support for information on enabling the Xbox 360 HUD, which causes the game to show Xbox 360 button icons.|
|Full controller support||Some menus are unusable with a controller.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
- See also: Xbox 360 controls on the Official Team Fortress Wiki.
Enabling Xbox 360 HUD • Link
Disabling Xbox 360 HUD • Link
|Separate volume controls||Over-all game volume and separate music slider.|
|Surround sound||7.1, 5.1 surround sound, 4 speaker surround|
|Mute on focus lost||"Silence the audio while the game window is in the background" check box|
- For more information, see the "Source Dedicated Server" section of our Source engine article.
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|UDP (outbound)||3478-4380, 27000-27030|
Generic fixes for issues
Console Commands • Link
Restart the game • Link
Verify Your Game Cache • Link
Delete your Team Fortress 2 registry settings • Link
Reinstall Steam • Link
Contact Steam Support • Link
Fully re-install Team Fortress 2 • Link
Purple and black broken textures
- A generic fix for this issue can be found on our Source engine page.
Game Crashes at Valve Logo on Startup
Game Crashes at Valve Logo on Startup • Link
More than likely, you are having DirectX issues. Try the following:
Game crashes after closing MotD
Game crashes after closing MotD • Link
Some servers use Pinion advertisement, a buggy plugin that sometimes crashes TF2.
Cosmetic items do not appear on a player
- Bug is caused by the dynamic-model-loading system implemented in Team Fortress 2.
Touch a resupply cabinet • Link
Getting disconnected while playing on a LAN with multiple players
- This is caused by multiple players trying to connect to a server using the same client port.
Use unique client ports • Link
Game cache files are stuck validating
Game cache files are stuck validating • Link
Low FPS fix
Linux (Ubuntu 12.10)
Fix low FPS on Ubuntu 12.10 • Link
Once the game has loaded and the FPS have dropped below playable:
From here on, the game should increase dramatically in performance.
Add an anti-virus exception • Link
Anti-virus software can interfere with a file in TF2's folder, which gets updated constantly during gameplay.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\appcache\stats\ C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\
Disabling Aero • Link
Alternatively if you are using
- FPS problems article on Whisper's Wiki - a very detailed guide on how to tweak the Source engine and Steam platform on which TF2 runs.
- Chris' FPS Configs for TF2 - Different configuration files to automatically set all settings to their absolute lowest or highest. It is recommended to troubleshoot before resorting to these as they can cause problems.
- TF2Mate - a TF2 configuration generator with support for various FPS configs, configurable key bindings, and other miscellaneous settings.
- "List of useful console commands" - Official TF2 Wiki
- Games running on the source engine can utilize Source Engine Console Commands for various tasks.
- These commands can be saved into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\cfg\autoexec.cfgto be executed when the game launches.
Enabling the console in Source games • Link
- You can also have the console open by default on launch by following this guide:
-console • Link
- View this Steam Support Article regarding launch options as well as the relevant Valve Developer wiki page for further information and a list of useful Source engine launch options.
- You can launch Team Fortress 2 with launch parameters - these parameters can dictate how certain aspects of the game behave.
Enabling a launch parameter • Link
|Operating system (OS)|| |
XP, Vista, 7
|Processor (CPU)||1.7 GHz||Pentium 4 3.0 GHz or better|
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| Requires support for SSE
DirectX 8.1 compatible
|DirectX 9 compatible|
|Operating system (OS)||10.5.8, 10.6.3|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||15 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA GeForce 8 |
Intel HD 3000
|Operating system (OS)||Ubuntu 12.04|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||15 GB|