OS X, Linux
| Release dates
May 16, 2011
- Official Terraria Website
- Official Terraria Forums
- Official Terraria Wiki
- GOG.com Community Discussions
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Network
- 7 Issues fixed
- 7.1 Playing on Linux
- 7.2 Game running slowly/low frame rate
- 7.3 Game will not start
- 7.4 XNA/.NET Installation Issues
- 7.5 German version
- 7.6 Teleporting mob lag in multiplayer
- 7.7 Graphics Cards Issues
- 7.8 Control Configuration Issues (non-Steam)
- 7.9 Hosting Issues
- 7.10 Game Crashes Immediately / Does Not Start
- 7.11 Can't change to Fullscreen via Settings
- 7.12 Game has reverted to an older version (Steam)
- 7.13 Switching to Cloud save and then back makes you lose discovery/map data/explored regions
- 8 Other information
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Amazon.co.uk||Retail Collector's Edition.|
Configuration file and save game data location
- This game does not support the XDG Base Directory Specification on Linux.
|Widescreen resolution||Use RomTerraria 4.0 for custom/unlisted resolutions up to 8192x8192.|
|Multi-monitor||Position affects gameplay. Use RomTerraria 4.0 if resolution is not detected.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use RomTerraria 4.0.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|120+ FPS||up to 120 on 120Hz displays|
- No native support for borderless fullscreen windowed mode.
- Maximum resolution is 1920x1080.
Borderless fullscreen windowed
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||No actively controlled camera|
|Controller support||Requires mods Game Launcher 3.0 and XBCM 2.6.5 (for use with Xbox 360 controllers only)|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion||No actively controlled camera|
|Separate volume controls||Music and sound.|
|Subtitles||No voiced dialogue|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Self-hosting|| For dedicated use |
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
- If you're unable to find a fix there (or here), you can check the Official Support Forum for help.
Playing on Linux
MonogameTerraria is not officially released on Linux, however an outdated unofficial MonoGame port can be used to play the game natively.
Game running slowly/low frame rate
Change Frame Skip and Lighting SettingsThis usually happens when the game is running on an older PC. In Settings make sure Frame Skip is set to "On" and Lighting is set to "Retro". This should increase performance.
Game will not start
You may be missing required components
Download and install the following:
XNA/.NET Installation Issues
- Make sure to install .NET 4 before installing XNA 4. If that does not solve the issue, try uninstalling both of these and installing a clean copy of both.
Download them from their official websites
If you're having issues downloading either XNA or .NET try to install the files manually via their websites:
The German (Steam) version of Terraria has currently lots of bugs and crashes (for example social slot items), the only fix is to set the language to English.
Teleporting mob lag in multiplayer
Limit FPS to 30
This can happen even on high-end systems, real cause is unknown but it can be fixed by limiting the FPS to 30. The Terraria Forums have a working fix for this that does things automatically.
Graphics Cards Issues
Make sure you have the most recent updates to your system
Check to make sure you have the most recent updates to your graphics card. You can do this through Steam (in Windows) by pressing (in the top right corner) 'Steam' > 'Check for Video Driver Updates...'.Also check to make sure you have the most recent version of DirectX.
- You should also check the list of XNA's Officially Supported Graphics Cards (XNA is the engine Terraria runs in) for your graphics card.
Control Configuration Issues (non-Steam)
- Some users are reporting that they have blanked all their controls and are unable to set them again
Firewall/Network AccessMake sure your Firewall is off or that it allows Terraria Network Access. View this forum thread to get information on giving Terraria Network Access.
Port forwardingLook up port forwarding if you are trying to host behind a router.
Use HamachiIf all else fails, you can use the third party program Hamachi. This allows you to more simply host a server without having to forward your ports.
Game Crashes Immediately / Does Not Start
Set Steam and Terraria.exe to launch as administratorTry launching again, and make sure you have set both Steam and Terraria.exe to launch as administrator (Windows Vista and Windows 7).
Can't change to Fullscreen via Settings
Alt + EnterPressing 'Alt' and 'Enter' at the same time toggles between Windowed Mode and Fullscreen mode.
Game has reverted to an older version (Steam)
Verify your Game Cache
To force the game to update itself you must Verify the Integrity of your Game Cache:
Switching to Cloud save and then back makes you lose discovery/map data/explored regions
This is a temporary issue with the game which will get fixed, but until then, this is what you need to know:
Switching to Cloud takes the files off your computer, from
|Shader Model support||1.1|
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1|
|Processor (CPU)||1.6 GHz Dual-core|
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||200 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 128 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 9.0c compatible
Shader model 1.1 support