| Release dates
November 1, 2011
|Sonic the Hedgehog CD||1996|
|Sonic 3D Blast||1997|
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection||1997|
|Sonic Adventure DX||2003|
|Sonic Mega Collection Plus||2007|
|Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing||2010|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||2010|
|Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine||2010|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2||2011|
|Sonic 3 & Knuckles||2011|
|Sonic Generations - Casino Nights DLC|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I||2012|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II||2012|
|Sonic Adventure 2||2012|
|Sonic Adventure 2: Battle|
|Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed||2013|
|Metal Sonic & Outrun DLC|
- It is highly recommeneded to play the game with a Xbox 360 Controller
- Active Modding Community
- The Unleashed Project Mod comes with a graphics renderer (ported from the 360/PS3 versions of Sonic Unleashed) that provides graphical and stability improvements to the base game.
- Poor console port
- Official developer site
- Sonic News Network - A massive wiki for the Sonic the Hedgehog universe
- Sonic Retro - A huge fan site for everything Sonic the Hedgehog. Mods for all the games can be found here
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
|Steam||Uses Steam Cloud for save game syncing|
|Amazon||Activates on Steam|
- All versions require Steam.
The game is not very well ported and many people have large performance issues (especially in Chemical Plant Zone).
Unleashed Project Mod
The Unleashed Project Mod provides a graphics renderer ported from Sonic Unleashed that adds stability and graphical enhancements.
High Resolution Shadows
There's a way to go beyond the shadow resolution options offered by the game, and it involves some manual modifications to the executable. Step-by-step instructions can be found here.
Set resolutions with 60Hz
In the configuration tool, make sure you select your resolution with 60 Hz, not 75 Hz. The game can not run smooth on 75Hz because the engine is limited to +/- 60 FPS.
Force Vsync with D3DOverrider
- The program needs to be running in the background for it to work
Forcing Vsync • Link
Set the FPS with FPS Limiter
- Before starting, make sure that Java is updated. It can be downloaded from the official site
Setting the FPS limit • Link
Some notes about this:
- The game must be always opened from the bat file created. Also, if you move the FPS_Limiter folder, you must re-create the bat file again.
- Compatible with the D3DOverrider tweak. If you find it not stable enough, use vSync option in the game's configuration tool instead.
- The game won't run at real time at anything bellow 15 FPS. Only use settings that are divisions of 60.
- Once again, make sure that you select your resolution in the configuration tool with 60 Hz.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||Use Widescreen Fixer|
|Multi-monitor||Use Widescreen Fixer|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate|
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Remapping||Keys must be bound to a virtual Xbox 360 Controller. The game will display the matching gamepad buttons instead of keyboard keys in the tooltips.|
|Mouse input in menus||Only for external configuration tool.|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||XInput controllers only.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
Issues with Nvidia Optimus laptops
Method 1: "Extend Desktop" Fix • Link
- Use Method 2 only if Method 1 does not work
- This fix is know to work on GeForce GT 555M, GeForce GT 540M, and GeForce GT 525M chipsets
Method 2: "Config File Edit" Fix • Link
Do not manually edit this file, use the configuration tool. NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M \\.\DISPLAY1 1600.900.60 1 1 1 1 0 d7b78e66-4256-11cf-fd56-b424b7c2c535 1515474505
Save the edited file. You should now be able to play the game.
One thing that should be noted is that the line "\\.\DISPLAY1" may need changing as well. In one test case, DISPLAY1 was fine when only the laptop display was enabled. However when the display was extended onto the "fake" Intel VGA display, it had to be changed to DISPLAY2. Therefore if DISPLAY1 does not work, it is recommended to try DISPLAYi where i is the number of displays you currently have enabled.
This second method was suggested by ezodagrom, and is reproduced here from a post by BlackLionPT.
Configuration Tool does not open/crashes
- Download and Install Microsoft Net Framework 4.0 from here.
- NOTE: If the above doesn't, please run Windows Update and install ALL Updates available. This way you can make sure it's not a "flaw" in your system that's causing the problem.
Black screen but can hear sound
Go to Catalyst Control Center / Nvidia Control Panel and disable all custom Anti Aliasing profiles (reset it to default if needed).
Crash on startup
Set sound quality to 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Windows Vista and newer) • Link
Other possible solutions • Link
If you get the error stating the following:
Critical Error!! • LinkThe detected configuration does not match your current hardware. Please run the configuration tool.
...then ensure the "Resolution" section in the Config tool is put at a resolution and refresh rate your computer and monitor can display.
Crash when trying to play online ranking mode
- If you have more than 100 friends on Steam, even if you are offline in chat, online mode will cause to crash the game. Remove friends to have 99 or less, and the game won't crash anymore.
- Loading a level in the singleplayer, exiting it and then starting it in ranked mode may reduce the chances of a crash.
|Operating system (OS)||XP||7|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent||Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB (Windows XP)/3 GB (Vista, 7)||3 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| Nvidia GeForce 8800
ATI Radeon HD 2900
512 MB of VRAM
| Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 |
ATI Radeon HD 5850
1 GB of VRAM