Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
| Release dates
February 12, 1999
January 24, 2013
- Official Website
- alphacentauri2.info - Active Alpha Centauri modding, patching and multiplayer community. Perhaps the last on the web.
- Civilization Wiki - A detailed wiki for all Civilization games and their spin offs
- Apolyton Civilization Site's Alpha Centauri section - A huge forum dedicated to all Civilization games and their spin offs.
- GOG.com Community Discussions
- GOG.com Support Page
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network
- 8 Issues fixed
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Retail||The game will run without the CD if you have performed a full install.|
|GOG.com||Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack. Windows and OS X.|
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack includes the base game and the Alien Crossfire expansion
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
|Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire||Included with Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack.|
The most up to date information on improvements and patches tends to be available on the alphacentauri2.info wiki at Unofficial Patches. Download links are kept more up to date there as well.
The following is a copy of the content on that page made 19th August 2015.
It is highly recommended that you use a patched .exe, the original is filled with major exploits, and prone to crashing. A fully patched game will very rarely crash and almost all the major bugs are solved.
Recommendation: You should install Yitzi's patch if you're using SMAX and kyrub's if you're using SMAC. It is safe to install both.
The only caveat is that Yitzi's patch breaks backwards compatibility for alphax.txt and overwrites it. If you use old scenarios that require a custom alphax.txt this means that you may need to manually move the changes over. This will not be a concern for most users. Not using Yitzi's patch means that some newer scenarios and custom alphax.txt will not work for you.
- Yitzi's patch (SMAX only) - Built on scient's patch and including all his fixes, also fixes more bugs and adds many more alphax variables. Replaces the original terranx.exe, alphax,txt and helpx.txt files. Includes PlotinusRedux's PRACX graphical patch and Guv'nor and GooglyBoogly's Datalinks Upgrades from version 3.4.
- kyrub's patch (SMAC, and a very early SMAX version) - Built on scient's patch and including all his fixes, aimed primarily at improving AI performance (still recommended for new players) but also fixing some bugs. SMAX version has only minor AI improvements and is superseded by Yitzi's patch, SMAC has many but is still a work in progress.
- scient's patch (SMAC and SMAX) - Fixes a large number of crashes, bugs, and exploits. No longer actively developed.
Yitzi and kyrub's patches are both in active development and new releases are announced on the Chiron News Network. All published versions of the patches are available in the patches download directory. As of July 2015, the latest versions of all patches are linked from this wiki.
To use any patch, typically download the zip file and extract it into the game directory, overwriting the pre-existing files.
If you use SMAX, you're best served by Yitzi's patch, otherwise you should use kyrub's. The AI improvements won't make the AI too hard for new players, and instead aim for a reasonable level of challenge at "Librarian" difficulty. Tweaks mostly involve teaching the AI how to do not-terribly without cheating.
This page is not updated with the latest releases of these patches. scient no longer works on the patch project, but kyrub and especially yitzi are both still active with a couple of releases a month from Yitzi in 2014 and two releases from kyrub in that year.
- If you have the original release without the expansion pack install the Alpha Centauri v4.0 update and then the XP Compatibility patch.
- If you have the Planetary pack or Laptop pack only install the Compatibility patch.
- If you have the original Alien Crossfire release install the Alien Crossfire v2.0 update then the XP Compatibility patch.
Now you can install the unofficial patch of your choice.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|OS X||~/Library/Application Support/GOG.com/Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/saves|
|Widescreen resolution||See Widescreen resolution.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
Warning PRACX and/or SMAC are incompatible with Windows 10. Not yet clear.
Edit Alpha Centauri.ini
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||EAX support was added with 2.0 update|
The game hangs
Otherwise, might be related to a bug with automated artillery units (though I think Yitzi might have fixed this one sometime). Try turning off automation and see if it helps. More info here.
GOG.com recommends using Catalyst 13.4 or earlier but the game also works with 14.x or earlier.
|Operating system (OS)|| |
|Processor (CPU)||Pentium 133 MHz||Pentium 200 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||16 MB||32 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| |
2 MB of VRAM
|Operating system (OS)|| |
|Processor (CPU)|| |
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |