Images can be uploaded using the upload form. To include a file in a page, use a link in one of the following forms:
[[File:File.jpg]]to use the full version of the file
[[File:File.png|200px|thumb|left|alt text]]to use a 200 pixel wide rendition in a box in the left margin with "alt text" as description
[[Media:File.ogg]]for directly linking to the file without displaying the file
Never convert lossy file formats such as JPG to lossless formats such as PNG. If no alternative version of the image is available or can be created in a lossless format, using the original lossy image is preferable.
All cover images are recommended to meet the following criteria:
- the image should be at least 282 pixels wide, ideally 564 pixels wide to accommodate high DPI screens;
- the recommended formats are PNG or SVG if available, but the image size as outlined above takes priority if a higher resolution JPG file is available.
All settings images are recommended to meet the following criteria:
- the recommended format is PNG in all cases;
- cropping the image to only contain the settings and not the background is advisable, but not necessary;
- settings images can be joined together if necessary, but to simplify updating files to reflect patches, only the same section of the settings should be merged, for example like so.
If a newer version of the image is available, always upload over the old image to keep the image history intact. If the name doesn't match the guidelines, it's possible to move the file to a more appropriate name. Uploading a file in a better format (PNG instead of JPG) is acceptable.
Naming and description
To prevent confusing file names, it is recommended to use the full name of the game in the file name, rather than any potential abbreviations. This way the file can still be easily recognized when it is no longer used on the game's page. The following format is recommended:
Game name - purpose.png
The description of the file should include the name of the game as well as the use of the file:
Settings for [[Game name]]. The above files follow this guideline.
Linking other files
It is always better to link to a page or thread rather than a file. Files can also be uploaded to the Files section.
Utilities, patches and are essential for getting certain games to run. Many services also cease to operate over a large period of time so it is preferable to link to a permanent service rather than temporary hosting like Dropbox.