The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
| Release dates
March 20, 2006
|The Elder Scrolls: Arena||1994|
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall||1996|
|An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire||1997|
|The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard||1998|
|The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind||2002|
|The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion||2006|
|Knights of the Nine|
|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim||2011|
|The Elder Scrolls Online||2014|
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums
- Oblivion Nexus - a large modding community
- UESP wiki
- Tweak Guide
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
|Amazon.com||The Elder Scrolls Anthology; includes Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim plus their expansions.|
|Steam||Game of the Year and Game of the Year Deluxe editions only. Both include Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine. Game of the Year Deluxe includes all DLC.|
- The GameStop PC Downloads/Impulse version is not compatible with some mods. This version is no longer sold.
- The Game of the Year Edition Deluxe includes all DLC but is only playable in English.
- The Elder Scrolls Anthology includes both a retail version and a single Steam key that unlocks Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim along with all expansions and DLC.
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
- The current official patch is patch 1.2.0416. This can be downloaded from the Bethesda download page. To check what version you have, run the Oblivion launcher, and choose "Technical Support" (as opposed to "Play")
- You only need to download one patch. There are two Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion patches, one is for the normal game, and the other is for the Shivering Isles Expansion. If you have the Shivering Isles expansion, you only need to download that patch, since it already contains the Oblivion patch. If you don't have the Shivering Isles expansion, then just download the regular patch.
- The unofficial oblivion patch is a fan made patch that corrects thousands of errors in the game, as well as providing slight tweaks to improve the game play experience:
- Book Jackets Adds unique covers to every book in Oblivion. Also see DLC Book Jackets for the official DLC addons, and Book Jackets KOTN for Knights of the Nine.
- DarNified UI Tweaks the user interface to fit PC, rather than the enlarged Xbox optimized user interface. HUD is smaller, fonts are smaller, and more items can be fitted per "page" in the inventory.
- Midas Magic Spells Of Aurum Adds over 300 new spells including summoning meteors, shooting laser beams, and even turning bodies into gold. Also adds new and exciting quests to other realms, with completely new creatures to fight, people to talk to, and new weapons to find.
Wrye Bash and Oblivion Mod Manager
Wrye bash and Oblivion Mod Manager are two utilities used for managing mods, Wrye Bash supports mods packed as .7z, while Oblivion Mod Manager offers a more easy to use format called .omod. Both utilities are used to install and uninstall mods, and ensure that mods are installed correctly.
Better Oblivion Sorting Software (BOSS)
Better Oblivion Sorting Software is a utility that sorts mods load order automatically, to ensure no mods conflict with each other when the game is played. Every time after you install a mod it is recommended that you run BOSS. After the software is done working, an .html file will open in your standard browser that will show important information about some .ESP's.
Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE)
Oblivion Script Extender is a utility that extends the script capabilities of vanilla Oblivion, allowing modders to better take advantage of the engine. Most mods require this utility, and installation instructions are included in a README, when you download it.
Nexus Mod Manager (NMM)
Nexus Mod Manager can manage mod downloads from Oblivion Nexus and automatically install them.
TES4Edit can clean .ESP files from "dirty edits" which are essentially errors made by original mod authors that can cause incompatibilities and prevent other .ESP's features from working.
Fast Exit prevents the game from crashing upon quitting and saves the .INI file before exiting the game so settings do not reset to their initial values upon exiting and restarting the game.
- A complete list of console commands can be found here.
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||There is a mod available here. It runs as an executable and is compatible with OBSE.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Enable through graphics card control panel.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||MSAA, up to 8 samples. Cannot be activated through the launcher at the same time as HDR, instead enable anti-aliasing through graphics control panel.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||See High frame rate.|
Use FOV Modifier • Link
Change setting in Oblivion.ini • Link
Use console commands • Link
This table works with the assumption that the default 75 degrees is optimal for screens with the 5:4 aspect ratio.
|Aspect Ratio||FOV Value|
Edit Oblivion.ini • Link
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Present in menus, can't be disabled. No acceleration in-game.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Voices, effects, footsteps and music.|
|Surround sound||Up to 7.1 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
|EAX support||Use Side's EAX Control mod.|
- May require DirectSound3D restoration software to restore proper audio functionality on Vista and newer Windows operating systems.
|Polish||Polish retail only; not available digitally.|
|Russian||Russian retail only; not available digitally.|
- TweakGuides has created a comprehensive guide for fixing issues in this game. It can be found here.
The game crashes upon exiting to desktop
Fast Exit • LinkUse Fast Exit.
The settings reset every time the game is restarted
Fast Exit • LinkUse Fast Exit.
Actors/NPCs appear as yellow triangles
Actors/NPCs appear as yellow triangles • Link
Caused by one of the following:
Incorrect Mod Installation
Incorrect Mod Installation • Link
Error in load order
Error in load order • LinkRun Better Oblivion Sorting Manager to fix this issue.
Missing BSA redirection
Missing BSA redirection • Link
Missing Meshes • Link
|Operating system (OS)|| |
XP, Vista, 7
|Processor (CPU)|| 2 GHz Intel Pentium 4
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
| 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4|
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
|System memory (RAM)||512 MB||1 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
ATi Radeon 9500
128 MB of VRAM
| NVIDIA GeForce 6800 |
ATi Radeon X800
- The Complete Elder Scrolls Collection comes to PC this September (Updated) | Bethesda Blog
- Elder Scrolls Retail · SubID: 29901 · Steam Database
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up