| Release dates
November 8, 2011
- Poor PC port
- Frame rate is capped at 30 FPS but this can be removed with Widescreen Fixer. Removing the cap works fine at 60 FPS but for higher frame rates it may cause some physics and driving problems.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Issues fixed
- 6.1 Freezing Title Screen
- 6.2 Game Freezes on 64-bit Windows 7
- 6.3 Slowdown, lag, or frame-rate issues
- 6.4 Crash-to-desktop on Windows 8
- 6.5 Missing Main Menu
- 6.6 Nvidia Video Driver crashes
- 6.7 Black border around game
- 6.8 USB Controller Problems
- 6.9 Issues with Rockstar Games Social Club
- 7 Issues unresolved
- 8 Launch parameters
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Retail||Requires latest Rockstar Games Social Club client.|
|Amazon.com||Requires latest Rockstar Games Social Club client.|
|Green Man Gaming|
|Official website||DRM Download, see details below|
- All versions require Rockstar Games Social Club for activation and online features.
- Online features require a Rockstar Games Social Club account.
- All versions use GameShield IronWrap DRM. Rockstar have not disclosed details of how many machine activations are allowed nor any other restrictions.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\L.A. Noire\settings.ini|
Save game data location
|Windows||%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\L.A. Noire\Profiles\<user-id>\L.A.Noire\SaveGame*.lanoire|
L.A. Noire Save Game Manager
L.A. Noire Save Game Manager is a utility developed by ReanimationXP. It's a program which allows the manual creation of save points during a mission. This allows one to create save games during a mission, and to reload part-way through a mission. This allows one to attempt different dialogue options without restarting the mission completely.
|Field of view (FOV)||Use Widescreen Fixer (supports version 1.3.2613).|
|Windowed|| Use |
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Borderless Gaming.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||FXAA only by default; however the game supports Sparse Grid Super-Sample Anti-aliasing using Nvidia Inspector and the compatibility bit 0x004000C0|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||Frame rate is capped at 30 FPS but this can be removed with Widescreen Fixer. Removing the cap works fine at 60 FPS but for higher frame rates it may cause some physics and driving problems.|
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Disabled by default. Can be enabled in the options menu.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support||Full in-game support. Launcher does not support controller input.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls|
|Surround sound||Auto configures up to 7.1 output|
|Closed captions||see table below for closed caption languages|
|Mute on focus lost||Game pauses itself and pause menu has no audio.|
|Turkish||Use 100% Türkçe Yama v2.0. (Now includes DLC missions)|
Freezing Title Screen
L.A. Noire for Windows is known to freeze at the title screen during the synchronization process, or immediately after, when the camera moves away from the L.A. Noire neon sign. There are several possible reasons for this. Some of the most common are:
- Anti-Virus Related Issues where game files are misrecognized as malware.
- .NET Framework 3.5 or C++ runtime libraries are not properly installed or configured. 
- Firewall prevents game from making a connection to the internet.
- Compatibility options are set incorrectly on Steam.
Compatibility options set incorrectly on Steam
Updating Microsoft Components
Game Freezes on 64-bit Windows 7
On 64-bit Windows 7, the game might freeze as soon as the synchronization (refresh) symbol shows up, which appears right after the Team Bondi logo. This is due to the game being incompatible with the current version of the .NET Framework 3.5 installed into your system. This is also the main reason why the associated .NET Framework installer provided with the game won't install.
Fix the .NET Framework on 64-bit Windows 7
Slowdown, lag, or frame-rate issues
Tweaking game via command line switches
Crash-to-desktop on Windows 8
Apply patches for Windows 8 compatibility
Missing Main Menu
The main menu might disappear in the Steam version of L.A. Noire. To solve it, try the following:
Verify Steam Files
Defragment the game files/hard drive
Adding Compatibility Settings to executable
Alternative solution to the Missing Main Menu Issue
Nvidia Video Driver crashes
Changing the Renderer
Black border around game
This is caused by the display's overscan handling. See the Overscan entry for solutions, the linked article lists solutions for AMD, Intel and Nvidia chipsets.
USB Controller Problems
With certain controllers connected to the PC (e.g. Wheel or Flight pedals) a bug can occur whereby even with controller set to disabled in the game menus the game still tries to accept controller input for some game controls and ignores keyboard input. Most notably this occurs when trying to drive cars. You will be unable to drive forward or reverse as long as the problem controller is plugged in to the personal computer.
Force controller Detection To Be a Default USB Device
Issues with Rockstar Games Social Club
There are many issues that users have experienced with the Rockstar Games Social Club DRM that the game uses, below are a list of issues specifically related to Rockstar Games Social Club and potential solutions.
Social Club won't launch
Reinstalling Rockstar Games Social Club
Endless Launcher Loop
An endless launcher loop, in which Rockstar Games Social Club starts and then crashes may occur if Steam's access permissions are incorrect.
Run Steam as an Administrator
Reinstallation of Steam
Error Patching: Error Binary Patching File
Remove patched files and re-patch
Social Club stuck on "Checking for updates"
Manually run the patcher
Corrupt License File
When starting the game, a social club "Corrupt License File" error message is displayed and the game refuses to start. I have found a fix that might work, after many hours of research I found out that the only reason my game has been doing this is because L.A Noire was not installed in program files in local disk C with Rockstar Games Social Club. So if your files are saved away from local disk C Try moving them there and try it out.
Following graphics cards are known to have problems with L.A. Noire:
- Any graphics card with less than 256 MB per GPU
- ATI Radeon HD 5570 1024 MB
- ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB AGP Pro
- Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB AGP Pro
Unable to install game to FAT32 partition
Installation of the game may not work on partitions formatted using FAT32. This problem occurs in Steam when the progress of the download indefinitely "suspends" around the 90% point. Recommended course of action is to relocate your installation to an NTFS partition.
You can supply launch parameters to L.A. Noire for example in a situation were you're running into compatibility problems, or if you're having serious performance issues. These may help you debug the issue, and thus resolve the problem.
To input launch parameters you have to open the launcher of the game, access the Options menu. There you can write the parameters into the Command Line field of the launcher. You might have to start the game manually using
LANLauncher.exe located inside the installation folder to see the launcher. It's noteworthy that Steam always starts the game using
|-windowed||Run game in a window.|
|-ignorefocus||Don't pause the game if you Alt-Tab or click out of its window.|
|-mousefree||Allow mouse outside the game window. (Requires windowed mode).|
|-str||Enable single threaded renderer, which may improve performance or compatibility on some systems.|
|-npd||Disable the 'D3D_PUREDEVICE' flag from device creation. May help if you have graphics compatibility issues.|
|-nosound||Disable all sound.|
|-L||Change the language - use English, French, German, Italian or Spanish, e.g. -L french|
|-joysticktype||Force a specific directinput controller type. Can be used to try different controller button layouts if your controller isn't specifically supported.|
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista, 7||Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)|| Intel Dual Core 2.2 GHz
AMD Dual Core 2.4 GHz
| Intel Quad Core 3.2 GHz|
AMD Quad Core 3.2 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||8 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Radeon HD 3000
512 MB of VRAM
| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 |
Radeon HD 6850
1024 MB of VRAM
- LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port - Steam Users' Forums for L.A. Noire
- LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port - NeoGAF
- How is the PC port as compared to its console versions? - GameFAQs
- L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition (PC) Review Page 2 - GameFront
- LA Noire FPS Cap Removal Issues (120hz) - YouTube
- Steam Users' Forums - View Single Post - Unofficial List of Steam Games with DRM
- L.A. Noire Save Game Manager website
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Freezing on Neon Sign/Title Screen during synchronization in L.A. Noire for PC
- .NET, C++, DirectX: Nothing happening after pressing Launch in L.A. Noire
- "Error Patching: Error binary patching file" / What to do if a patch fails to install in L.A. Noire for PC