Games for Windows - LIVE
- Use the same Microsoft account and gamertag across other Xbox services.
- Only available in Xbox LIVE Countries and Regions; players outside these areas must use a local profile.
- DRM: varies; see List of Games for Windows - LIVE games.
- The Marketplace was closed on August 25, 2013 for new purchases; existing purchases can still be downloaded.
- 1 Download
- 2 Issues unresolved
- 3 Issues fixed
- 3.1 Backing up saves
- 3.2 Moving saves between gamertags
- 3.3 Backing up installers
- 3.4 Sign-in problems
- 3.5 Crashes
- 3.6 Creating a local profile
- 3.7 "Games for Windows – LIVE has encountered a corrupted file" error during ZDPP check
- 4 References
- Latest version can be downloaded here
- If you still have any issues with GFWL, please use XLiveLess
Backing up saves
Back up XLive folder
- If you rename your gamertag or switch to a different one your existing saves won't be shown in-game.
Move saves to new gamertag
Backing up installers
- Installation files are normally deleted after installation is complete; you can back them up to avoid having to download them again.
- Games reinstalled from backups will not show up as installed in the Marketplace client but will otherwise work normally.
- You may also want to keep a copy of your game keys, accessible from the Marketplace client by going to the item and then choosing View Game Keys.
Backing up installers for games purchased through the Marketplace
Backing up patch update installers
In-game interface does not open
Make sure you logged in the desktop client at least once
Install the Sign-in Assistant
Ensure Sign-in Assistant service is running
Error 80048821 when using two-factor authentication
- If you have enabled two-factor authentication for your Microsoft account you must sign in with an app password.
Generate app password
Password contains special characters
- Passwords need to be under 16 characters; using non-alphanumeric characters such as $%&%^>< may cause sign-in problems.
Change incompatible password
Cannot connect in-game
Your Microsoft account might be able to log into other Microsoft services but not GfWL.
Many people have problems with GFWL crashing in-game or when launching. See Games For Windows - Live Crashing SOLUTION for a fix.
Creating a local profile
- Local profiles don't need internet access.
- Multiplayer, achievements, DLC downloading and in-game patching are unavailable.
- Local profiles can't be used for games that are multiplayer-only or always-online (e.g. Age of Empires Online).
Create local profile
"Games for Windows – LIVE has encountered a corrupted file" error during ZDPP check
- PC Marketplace closing | PC Marketplace - Xbox.com
- Games For Windows live marketplace Code: 80048821 - Microsoft Community
- Fix: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Games for Windows Live Zero Day Protection not unlocking | Screened by Slimm