Games for Windows - LIVE
- Use the same Microsoft account and gamertag across other Xbox services.
- Only available in Xbox LIVE Countries and Regions; players outside these areas must use a local profile.
- DRM: varies; see List of Games for Windows - LIVE games.
- The Marketplace was closed on August 25, 2013 for new purchases; existing purchases can still be downloaded.
- 1 Download
- 2 Issues unresolved
- 3 Issues fixed
- 3.1 Backing up saves
- 3.2 Moving saves between gamertags
- 3.3 Backing up installers
- 3.4 Sign-in problems
- 3.5 Crashes
- 3.6 Creating a local profile
- 4 References
- Latest version can be downloaded here
- If you still have any issues with GFWL, please use XLiveLess
Backing up saves
Back up XLive folder • Link
- If you rename your gamertag or switch to a different one your existing saves won't be shown in-game.
Backing up installers
- Installation files are normally deleted after installation is complete; you can back them up to avoid having to download them again.
- Games reinstalled from backups will not show up as installed in the Marketplace client but will otherwise work normally.
- You may also want to keep a copy of your game keys, accessible from the Marketplace client by going to the item and then choosing View Game Keys.
Backing up installers for games purchased through the Marketplace • Link
Backing up patch update installers • Link
In-game interface does not open
Update to latest Games for Windows Marketplace Client version
Make sure you logged in the desktop client at least once • Link
Install the Sign-in Assistant • Link
Ensure Sign-in Assistant service is running • Link
Error 80048821 when using two-factor authentication
- If you have enabled two-factor authentication for your Microsoft account you must sign in with an app password.
Generate app password • Link
Password contains special characters
- Passwords need to be under 16 characters; using non-alphanumeric characters such as $%&%^>< may cause sign-in problems.
Change incompatible password • Link
Cannot connect in-game
Your Microsoft account might be able to log into other Microsoft services but not GfWL.
Attempt workarounds • Link
Many people have problems with GFWL crashing in-game or when launching. See Games For Windows - Live Crashing SOLUTION for a fix.
Creating a local profile
- Local profiles don't need internet access.
- Multiplayer, achievements, DLC downloading and in-game patching are unavailable.
- Local profiles can't be used for games that are multiplayer-only or always-online (e.g. Age of Empires Online).
Create local profile • Link
- PC Marketplace closing | PC Marketplace - Xbox.com
- Games For Windows live marketplace Code: 80048821 - Microsoft Community