Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
| Release dates
August 23, 2012
|Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition||2012|
|Dark Souls II||2014|
- Using a controller is highly recommended over keyboard and mouse controls.
- If using keyboard and mouse controls, apply the DSMfix to improve mouse control issues.
- A poor port of the console versions of the game with few configurable options.
- Use DSfix to increase rendering resolution along with many other options.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Network settings
- 8 Issues fixed
- 9 System requirements
- 10 References
|Green Man Gaming|
|Retail||/||Completely optional Steam unlock.|
- All versions require Games for Windows - LIVE.
- A GUI for DSfix is available for inexperienced users
- DSfix increases the rendering resolution for better visual quality; without it the game outputs anamorphic 1024x720. It also allows the 30fps lock to be lifted, HD or other alternate textures to be used, as well as giving options for anti-aliasing (AA), Screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), Depth of Field (DOF) blurring, anisotropic filtering (AF) and many other features.
Install DSfix • Link
1.02 Patch (2013-09-17) breaks compatibility of many mods
The main executable was patched so any mod reliant on locations in the executable/RAM need to be updated.
- DSfix has been updated to version 2.2 which restores all features broken by patch 1.02.
- DSVfix is no longer required as all of its fixes have been implemented into the game.
- DSMfix has been unofficially updated by a fan of the project.
- DSCfix has been reported to be unaffected by the patch.
Skip intro videos
Skip intro • Link
DS Connectivity fix by M0tah
DSCfix aims to improve the online experience when attempting to engage in jolly cooperation with friends. It is an interception DLL intended to be used with DSfix and functions by adding any online GFWL friends to your P2P connection pool before searching for random peers. This means that direct connections to friends are established right away, whereas in vanilla Dark Souls this only happens after the first successful summon or invasion (if you were even lucky to get that far). This greatly reduces the time required to summon a friend, with typical wait times of about a few seconds.
Disclaimer: Due to the nature of DSCfix it must make changes to the internal functionality of Dark Soul's multiplayer networking code. Although there have been no issues during testing of DSCfix, I cannot be held responsible for any potential malfunctioning of the code or GFWL bans. Use DSCfix at your own risk.
Installation of DSCfix • Link
If you're using DSMfix or another DInput hook:
Uninstallation • Link
If you need to uninstall DSCfix:
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\XLivemust also be backed up.
|Widescreen resolution||See DSfix.|
|Multi-monitor||Use DSfix together with Widescreen Fixer.|
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See DSfix.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Creates an overly blurry effect (does not work with DSfix).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||See High frame rate.|
borderlessFullscreen 1 • Link
- The game suffers from poor 3D support.
3D Vision fixby Helix • Link
[General] ProxyLib=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA\res.dll UseEndScene = false
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Remapping||Mouse 4 and 5 cannot be remapped.|
|Mouse acceleration||Mouse deceleration reported.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See Controller support.|
|Full controller support||Entering a name for a new character requires keyboard.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
- Unintuitive default keyboard scheme, for example, 'End' brings up menu (and 'Escape' does nothing).
- Mouse controls feel very jittery, with very unintuitive results when the camera collides with a wall or the floor.
DSMfix • Link
- 'Hot swap' between keyboard and mouse controls and controller is available.
- Use of controller is highly recommended.
- Works well with the DualShock 3 using XInput Wrapper. PS button textures can be found here
Controller not working
Controller driver reinstall • Link
Controller with wrong mapping
- Non-Xbox 360 controllers most likely have incorrect button mapping.
Use X360ce • Link
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost||Can not be disabled.|
- Signing into Games for Windows - LIVE is mandatory for the first time, and a connection needs to be maintained for multiplayer.
Manually forward ports • Link
Port forwarding must be enabled on:
UPnP forwarding • Link
Improving FPS on lower-spec machines
Adjust settings in DSfix • Link
Adjust settings in game • Link
- Certain areas of the game are more demanding on your hardware causing slowdown in-game. It seems that the engine, when faced with an area where it struggles to render 30 FPS, will cut down to 15FPS. The most famous is Blighttown, but large animated characters can also produce this slowdown.
- Unlock the FPS cap with DSfix (unlockFPS 1), set the frame cap at 30 (FPSlimit 30) and enable Vsync (enableVsync 1) For the most part you will have the same experience, but where the game would usually dip to 15FPS it will only drop as far as it needs to (results dependant on your machine).
General low performance
Data.exe Priority • Link
Disable AMD Cool'n'Quiet • LinkDisabling AMD Cool 'N Quiet in your BIOS can also fix the issue with low FPS.
Processor affinity • LinkSet processor affinity to only 2 of the available processors.
Low performance ATI/AMD
- Appears that ATI/AMD graphics cards are underutilised.
Set Catalyst Control Center 3D Profile • Link
Low performance Nvidia Optimus
Force Optimus To Use Nvidia Instead Of Intel Graphics • Link
- Crash occurs after start screen.
Rename VSFilter.dll • Link
Progress bar stuck during installation
- Problem may be caused by setup utility getting stuck whilst installing DirectX and Games for Windows - LIVE.
End Install Processes • Link
Minimize with multiple monitors
- When playing with two screens, the game seems to minimize.
CursorLock • Link
Steam Compatibility settings fix • Link
|Operating system (OS)||XP, Vista, 7|
|Processor (CPU)||AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0 GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||4 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon HD 4870 |
GeForce 9800 GTX+
- New 120Hz Games Report
- GameCompatibility List - x360ce