| Release dates
September 14, 2012
|Half-Life: Opposing Force||1999|
|Half-Life: Blue Shift||2001|
|Half-Life: Decay (unofficial port/mod)||2001|
|Half-Life 2: Deathmatch||2004|
|Half-Life 2: Lost Coast||2005|
|Half-Life Deathmatch: Source||2006|
|Half-Life 2: Episode One||2006|
|Half-Life 2: Episode Two||2007|
|Black Mesa (unofficial mod)||2012|
- There are some changes from the original game, for example, some items are located in different places.
- Unfinished. Developers still working on the Xen portion of the game.
- Requires Steam and Source SDK Base 2007 (both free)
- Black Mesa Forum
- Black Mesa In-Game Issues Forum - highly active support forum
- Black Mesa Wiki
- Unofficial Half-Life Wiki
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues fixed
- 8 Issues unresolved
- 9 Other information
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|Developer Website||Free download.|
Source SDK Base 2007
Source SDK Base 2007 • Link
Play on OS X and Linux
Maps left out of the game
Several maps weren't ported to Black Mesa, but the following user mods add them to the game:
Configuration file(s) location
Save game data location
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
-window -noborder • Link
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration|| Default is off. Can be toggled with |
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Separate volume controls||Game and music.|
|Surround sound||7.1 support.|
|Closed captions||Further improved by this user patch.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Turkish||Fan translation, see Turkish.|
- A Turkish fan patch is available here.
Lagspikes and performance issues
- Major lagspikes and stuttering with 100% usage of core 1, and less on the remaining cores.
- Unable to select anything in options menu regarding Multi-core rendering (no options to select).
Quadcore CPU Affinity • Link
Game Not Opening • Link
Purple and black broken textures
- A generic fix for this issue can be found on our Source engine page.
'Could not load library client'
- A large thread has been created to attempt to fix this issue. No conclusive fix has been found yet.
- Some users report this fix works.
- This error occurs at launch.
- Games running on the Source engine can utilize Source Engine Console Commands for various tasks.
Enabling the console in Source games • Link
- You can also have the console open by default on launch by following this guide:
-console • Link
- View this Steam Support Article regarding launch options as well as the relevant Valve Developer wiki page for further information and a list of useful Source engine launch options.
Enabling a launch parameter • Link
|Operating system (OS)|| |
XP, Vista, 7
|Processor (CPU)||Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, or AMD processor||Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD equivalent.|
|System memory (RAM)||1 GB||2 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI 9600
Shader model 2.0 support
| ATI X1600 |
Shader model 3.0 support
- Hard drive space required does not account for the Source SDK 2007.