| Release dates
February 16, 2012
|Alan Wake's American Nightmare||2012|
- PC version features high resolution textures, texture filtering, high quality shadows and more PC-specific features.
- Excellent, well-optimized port.
- Official forums
- GOG.com Community Discussions for game series
- GOG.com Support Page
- Steam Community Discussions
- Steam Users' Forums for game series
- 1 Availability
- 2 Essential improvements
- 3 Game data
- 4 Video settings
- 5 Input settings
- 6 Audio settings
- 7 Issues unresolved
- 8 Issues fixed
- 9 Other information
- 10 System requirements
- 11 References
|Green Man Gaming|
|Humble Store||Includes Alan Wake's American Nightmare.|
- The only places where the soundtrack can be bought are Amazon.com, Origin and Steam.
- The bonus content of the Collector's Edition can be found in the installation folder of the game.
Downloadable content (DLC) and expansions
- Base game includes all DLC released for the Xbox 360 version.
Skip intro videos
Delete/rename video files
Configuration file(s) and save game data location
resolution.xmlcontrols screen resolution as well as debugging information.
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV).|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Use Windowed Borderless Gaming.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Cannot be switched off as an option, as the game is designed with 2x MSAA as a minimum.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate||No frame rate or refresh rate cap.|
- Suggested values by aspect ratio:
16:9, 16:10, 15:9 >> FOV 11 21:9 (2560x1080) >> FOV 13 15:4 (3840x1024) >> FOV 15 48:10 (5040x1050) >> FOV 19 48:9 (5760x1080) >> FOV 20
|Keyboard and mouse||Native||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||On by default. Enable "Direct aiming" in the controls to disable it.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||XInput controllers only.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Two layouts only.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
Binding Enter or Backspace to actions
|Separate volume controls||Separate controls for music, effects, speech, and cinematic.|
|Surround sound||Auto configures up to 7.1 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Spanish||Includes localization for Spain and Latin American countries.|
|Turkish||Use Alan Wake - %100 Türkçe Yama.|
Latin American Spanish localization
- Features its own dubbing.
Configure the game in Latin American Spanish
Commentary audio volume too high
The volume for audio commentary cannot be changed and may be too high for some users. It was lowered slightly in 1.02 to be "more sensible".
Low frame rate and stuttering
Disable forced anti-aliasing
"No World Loaded" error
- This is caused by a corrupted download.
Fix corrupted files
Everything is black and white on Intel graphics
- This glitch causes all the graphics in the game to appear white, black and dark grey, while all the lighting and shadows seem to work.
- This occurs on (even slightly) older Intel graphics drivers (confirmed with the one that ships with Apple's Boot Camp drivers for Windows 8).
Update graphics driver
Disabling blur effects
Turn all blur effects off
Start the game with the command line parameter
Turn only motion blur off
Command line parameters
Set these parameters to change certain hidden settings or force different options at start-up.
||Screen height (e.g. -h720).|
||Screen width (e.g. -w1280).|
||Shows frame rate counter.|
||Forces 5.1 speaker mode.|
||Forces stereo speak mode.|
||Deletes save games and settings for Alan Wake from the Steam Cloud.|
||Disables the in-game vector blur.|
||Forces a selected locale.|
||Modifies mouse aim behavior.|
||Removes all mouse acceleration, also enables -rigidcamera.|
||Fixes Windows language bar or input language disappearance.|
||Unlocks all episodes and allows you to play at Nightmare difficulty without completing the game first on lower difficulties.|
||Pressing the right thumb stick enables/disables freecamera mode. There is no keyboard switch.|
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP2||7|
|Processor (CPU)||2 GHz Dual core||2.66 GHz Quad core|
|System memory (RAM)||2 GB||4 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| 512 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
| AMD Radeon 4890 |
Nvidia GeForce GTX260
1 GB of VRAM