| Release dates
February 9, 2010
March 29, 2012
- Uses SecuROM DRM with unlimited activations and an available revoke tool.
- It is possible to disable GFWL.
- 1 Availability
- 2 Game data
- 3 Video settings
- 4 Input settings
- 5 Audio settings
- 6 Issues fixed
- 7 Performance tweaks
- 8 System requirements
- 9 References
Disable GFWL using Timeslip's bioshock2-xlive.7z • Link
Retail v1.5 Patch
- The latest patch is v1.5. The Steam version already has this patch.
- The patch accidentally mutes all the Little Sisters. This can be fixed (see #No Little Sister voice acting) but the fix requires an #Games For Windows Live (GFWL) account to be signed in. It may be advisable to avoid the patch because the interaction with the Little Sisters is a significant aspect of the gameplay.
- Because of GFWL you must back up both your Live profile and the game saves in order to transfer or restore your saves.
- Save games generated when signed into GFWL are not compatible with 'offline' mode, and vice versa.
- Use BioShock 2 Saved Game Utilities to easily back up the save folders needed for BioShock 2.
|Multi-monitor||Use Widescreen Fixer with this plugin to fix HUD scaling.|
|Field of view (FOV)||See Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||Window will not resize correctly.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See Anisotropic filtering (AF).|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See Anti-aliasing (AA).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|High frame rate|
- Any custom FOV settings will be reset automatically at various times during gameplay when control is taken away from the player; i.e. for cutscenes. Zooming down iron sights will also yield this effect.
There is no native AA support in BioShock 2. AA can be forcibly enabled, however, through your graphics driver's control panel. Please consult the user guide for your particular graphics driver on how this is performed.
- There is no native controller support (Xbox 360 or otherwise) in this game.
|Separate volume controls|
|Mute on focus lost|
Hold to Duck / Hold to Aim Down Sights
Hold to Duck • Link
Hold to Aim Down Sights • Link
Disable v-sync • LinkDisable v-sync from the in-game settings menu.
Force v-sync • LinkForce v-sync through graphics adaptor.
Crash on startup
Change read/write permissions of save files • Link
Left Plasmid hand disappears
- This glitch is especially likely when using the Scout-Plasmid. Therefore it is advisable to quicksave before using it.
Respawn • Link
Green Pepper Edition - no product key
- The Green Pepper Edition of Bioshock 2 does not contain a product key. Therefore it is not possible to create a Windows Live Account or add Bioshock 2 to an existing account.
Create a local profile • Link
Contact Green Pepper • LinkContact the Green Pepper Customer Hotline and insist that you rightfully deserve a product key.
Disable GFWL • LinkRefer to Timeslip's bioshock2-xlive.7z xlive.dll fix.
Game does not start on Windows 8
- When installed on Windows 8 Pro x64, trying to run the game doesn't do anything. This is mostly like an issue with GFWL.
Reinstall GFWL under Windows 7 compatibility mode • Link
Crashing Windows 7 and 8
- The game will periodically crash when installed on Windows 7 or 8.
Activate DirectX 9 mode • Link
No Little Sister voice acting
- May occur after installing 1.5 Patch, which causes Little Sisters to become mute.
Download Protector Trials DLC • Link
Set sound quality of standard sound device • Link
- Error message: Too many activations on different PCs or too many reactivations on the same PC have been performed
|bioshock2revoke.zip to revoke activation.|
Improving Havok physics engine performance • Link
|Operating system (OS)||Windows XP SP2||Windows 7|
|Processor (CPU)|| |
|System memory (RAM)|| |
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|| |
|Video card (GPU)|| NVIDIA 7800GT 256 MB
ATI Radeon X1900 256 MB
| NVIDIA 8800GT 512 MB|
ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB